2010 Yukon 5.3 towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukoNoob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am a first time buyer of a GM vehicle. Just purchased a beautiful 2010 like new Yukon SLE with 20" Denali wheels. (looks like a Denali)

I have a 6 speed with 3.08 rear and a 5.3L engine. With the 20" wheels I know this is not the best combo BUT...this is what I have. I will be towing a 4600 lbs TT (it has a WD hitch) about 3 times a year in mostly flat location. I am in Socal. It came with a PS cooler and I have installed a Trans Cooler and Brake controller. What else do you recommend? An engine oil cooler? 3.42, 3.73 gearing? Most of the time it will be a grocery getter on weekends only.

When I towed in the past , I normally cruise around 60mph on flats and take my time on hills...not in a rush.

Thanks for your time,

first time GM owner

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be ok. Don't worry about the 20" rim/tire combination. It's all about "Static Loaded Radius". This is the measurement used by tire manufacturers to indicate the distance from the center of the rim to the tread while mounted on the vehicle. Manufacturers will adjust aspect ratio between 18", 20" and 22" tires to maintain a consistent aspect ratio.

All that being said...the revs per mile wile be very close between an 18" tire and a 20" tire...the static loaded radius should be the same.

rattmobbins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll also probably get more/better feedback if you post this in the correct forum. This is the 2015+ forum.

OP
OP
Y

YukoNoob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, I will be going on a short hop this weekend to test it out.

I will post in the correct forum next time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandy