2010 GMC Yukon XL AWD Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Kelley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Getting a clunk or bump when first accelerate then goes away, wife took it to dealer and was told it need a transfer case bushing but they would have to order it. I have searched the net and I don't see a mount bushing for the transfer case I only se the trans mount as the AWD transfer case is bolted off the tail shaft.
Does anyone have an idea I emailed dealer for a picture but when they look it up there is no image.
I have the same problem with my 2007 Yukon SLT 4x4. I get a 'clunk' when I take off, especially under a load. It feels like it's coming from the left rear and a 'mechanic' told me it was the right side engine mount. Somehow this don't make sense to me since it seems like i would feel it in the front. I thought maybe even replacing the shock absorbers but don't want to waste money if not needed. My Yukon has 141,000 miles. What do you suggest?

OP
OP
S

somguyss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2007 Yukon SLT 4x4. I get a 'clunk' when I take off, especially under a load. It feels like it's coming from the left rear and a 'mechanic' told me it was the right side engine mount. Somehow this don't make sense to me since it seems like i would feel it in the front. I thought maybe even replacing the shock absorbers but don't want to waste money if not needed. My Yukon has 141,000 miles. What do you suggest?
i would check the engine mounts for sure and if it is the right side mount that has failed that would make a clunking noise for sure. my noise has been located to my front diff mount on the drivers side as mine is AWD so I replaced both the left and right front diff mounts as my Yukon has over 155,000 miles on it so in my eyes of preventive maintenance i decided to be on the safe side and do both sides.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
141,000 sounds about right for motor mounts. The factory mounts are liquid filled and don't hold up like solid mounts.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Slip Yoke on the transmission can make this clunk.
As mentioned by avalonandl..............find you a small can of " white lead" it's used for checking ring/pinion pattern when changing ratio.
Remove driveshaft and clean the inner front yoke splines coat the inner yoke with the white lead, don't overdo it, it will take the "clunk" noise away. good luck.

Attachments

• Tahoe-1.png
    Tahoe-1.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
im having the same issue and i have replaced both motor mounts and the issue persists.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a clunk or bump when first accelerate then goes away, wife took it to dealer and was told it need a transfer case bushing but they would have to order it. I have searched the net and I don't see a mount bushing for the transfer case I only se the trans mount as the AWD transfer case is bolted off the tail shaft.
Does anyone have an idea I emailed dealer for a picture but when they look it up there is no image.
To much wear/sloppiness in the transfer case. Have it rebuilt or exchange it for a rebuilt. It's on my list of things to do to our 07 AWD Denali.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im having the same issue and i have replaced both motor mounts and the issue persists.
On my ‘07 it was a combination of front diff mounts, and a worn AWD transfer case drive chain. I replaced the diff mounts which made a big difference, and will do the transfer case some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum

Latest posts