2008 Denali Driver's Tail Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali.
Driver's side tail light works for turn signal, hazard, open door with remote, etc.

But when I have the lights switched on (set at auto, running or just on) it does not illuminate.

I pulled (and switched for good measure) the tail light fuses to no avail. (25, 26 and 27)

** Last month I tried to rent a trailer but when they hooked it up one of the turn signals didn't work on the trailer (tired another trailer just to be sure). Not sure if it is related. I did find a brake fuse that was out today but don't have a trailer to test if that was the problem.

** When I purchased the beast the turn signal stalk was bad. The previous owner had purchased one but was unsuccessful in replacing it. I put it in and all seemed to work fine but I didn't check tail light - just signals. Not sure if it is related.

Help. Out of ideas : )

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may seem dumb to ask, but did you check the bulbs or to see if there is power on the running light socket? There are 3 bulbs inside if I remember right- 2 large and one small. The Hazzard and turn are a different bulb from running lights I believe. It's been awhile since I had mine out to do work on, but if needed, I can pull out and investigate further.

OP
OP
S

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a Denali so it has the Cadillac LED bank. The LEDs light up for other functions - just not for light switch.

OP
OP
S

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I switched tail light assemblies and the assembly worked fine on the passenger side. So it is something with the relays, fuses, switches or wiring.

Any ideas?

I checked the fuses and they are good. I don't see relays for the tail lights listed anywhere.

My neighbor mechanic suggested could be the light switch itself (he works on European cars).

I see many people with the exact same issue but no solution listed : (

FYI: Yukon Denali's have LED tail lights like Caddies. It is essentially an Escalade.

OP
OP
S

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just tested the relays and made sure the fuse had power. All good.

So next I will check the light switch itself.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI: Yukon Denali's have LED tail lights like Caddies. It is essentially an Escalade.
I have owned a total of 3 Yukon XL Denali's (2007, 2008 and now a 2013) and none of them have had LED taillights. If the previous owner made a change, that is a whole other thing, but from the factory, they are not LED on the Denali's

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a total of 3 Yukon XL Denali's (2007, 2008 and now a 2013) and none of them have had LED taillights. If the previous owner made a change, that is a whole other thing, but from the factory, they are not LED on the Denali's
+1. If you have LED tail lights on your Denali, then it's aftermarket. I own two Yukon XL Denali's - a '07 and a '12 and they both have incandescent bulbs in the taillights.

I haven't seen where you've said that you tested for power and ground at the taillight connectors. Can I assume that you have done so, and that you have power and ground continuity there? If so, then the taillight assembly is the only possible culprit.

OP
OP
S

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
+1. If you have LED tail lights on your Denali, then it's aftermarket. I own two Yukon XL Denali's - a '07 and a '12 and they both have incandescent bulbs in the taillights.

I haven't seen where you've said that you tested for power and ground at the taillight connectors. Can I assume that you have done so, and that you have power and ground continuity there? If so, then the taillight assembly is the only possible culprit.
As posted above, I tested by switching assemblies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts