2005 Z71 Full body wiring diagram / replacement harnesses.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylebnoris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Happy new year guys. Just joined.

Searched around and couldn't find the straight answer so I figured I'd make an account here and ask the enthusiast.

I have a good friend of mine whom just inherited a 2005 Tahoe Z71 from his father that passed away. We are in the process of un-rigging the truck, and the entire front and rear suspension is being rebuilt.

His father had a drug problem, so the rest of this should make sense as to why it ended up this way.

The truck has some sort of bypass or replacement for the ignition system. It has what appears to be a rotary switch installed that takes the place of the regular ignition. The switch is just a rotary gear that can rotate left or right a specific amount, two clicks to the left and then hold and it's basically the same operation as the key in the ignition. Now I know, we thought the truck was stolen too, however we checked the vin in multiple places, and the title with local LEO and it's all legit. Title is legit to the truck etc.

The radio is on a switch too for some reason. Anyways I'm looking for a complete diagram for the body of the truck. it's a fully loaded out Z71 and we are going to rip the entire interior out to replace it anyway so we'll have full access to the body control module and all the attached harnesses. If I can purchase a complete replacement harnesses that would ideal, but I have been searching marketplace for a donor truck, as that could handle the harness and the interior all in one shot.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Before we load up the money shotgun and buy a $3,000-$6,000 parts truck.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in. Perhaps a subscription to the AllData DIY vehicle information site would be a place to start.

OP
OP
K

kylebnoris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in. Perhaps a subscription to the AllData DIY vehicle information site would be a place to start.
I can get him to take some pictures when he gets off work tomorrow, he's a Firefighter so he's working a 24. But it's a White Tahoe, Z71 5.3 4x4.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. These links should get you started. Just go to ebay and do a search for 2005 Tahoe wiring harnesses and all kinds of them come up for several pages.

OP
OP
K

kylebnoris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info,

here's a picture of the ole girl, working on diagnosing it trying to overheat when we drove it last night. Swapped the trans pan and gasket and all the sudden it was getting to 230.

Edit: idk why but for some reason it says this .png is too large of a file.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am confused. The engine was trying to o-heat or the transmission? 230 degrees at the engine or transmission?

OP
OP
K

kylebnoris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am confused. The engine was trying to o-heat or the transmission? 230 degrees at the engine or transmission?
Transmission pan gasket was just the work that had just completed.

When going down the road to test for function and leaks it tried to overheat. Hit 220-230 and the E fans went full blast.

Right now we just discovered his dad has straight water in it. We are currently going to replace the thermostat and housing gasket.

Side question, Dexcool correct?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Transmission pan gasket was just the work that had just completed.

When going down the road to test for function and leaks it tried to overheat. Hit 220-230 and the E fans went full blast.

Right now we just discovered his dad has straight water in it. We are currently going to replace the thermostat and housing gasket.

Side question, Dexcool correct?
Dexcool, correct. Either buy the "concentrate" and mix 50/50 or you can buy the pre mix and just pour that in.

I am not saying, "do not replace the thermostat", but you can test the old one easily. When you get out, use a pan of boiling water. If the old one is closed when you take it out, if is open it is a bad thermostat, dip the old one in the water and see if it opens up. That would indicate that there is a possibility that the new thermostat may not fix the problem. Plus, the temp gauge may not be accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar