2005 Yukon, oil pressure pegged at 80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motamir

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge is pegged at 80- just started yesterday with a low pressure warning as I was driving and it swung back and forth and now is sitting at 80 whenever it's powered up (zeroed when off).

I'm assuming it's the gauge, not something else- is that a good assumption? Or could it be something else? How much do I need to worry about this?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two possible problems: oil pressure sending unit on top of the engine at the back of the intake or a bad stepper motor in the cluster.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge is pegged at 80- just started yesterday with a low pressure warning as I was driving and it swung back and forth and now is sitting at 80 whenever it's powered up (zeroed when off).

I'm assuming it's the gauge, not something else- is that a good assumption? Or could it be something else? How much do I need to worry about this?

Does it go to 80 with key on, engine OFF?

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge is pegged at 80...
Check my old Thread on this. SAME problem...was the sending unit on the top back of the engine. It always stayed around 40 for years...seems THAT should have been an indication its bad...s/b more like 60 when cold or high speed...40 at idle warmed up.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yes it does. And when it starts, it goes back to zero and then swings back to 80.

If it is showing pegged with the engine off, it is almost surely the sending unit. Just make sure you use AC Delco replacement. Many problems noted with the aftermarket ones. If you search, there are many conversations regarding changing it. Got mine sitting on the bench waiting to be installed...

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need something similar to this, the socket came from autozone. It's made for the oil pressure sender.

medium800.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645