2004 Yukon XL, let me know what you think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLAMBERT02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought this 2004 Yukon XL slt one week ago. It’s a clean title with 167k miles on it, I’m the 3rd owner. Always been owned here in AZ. Fully loaded (I believe) leather seats, moon roof, Bose Audio, heated and electric driver/passenger seat, rear a/c. It’s completely stock, no mods, besides some cheap 20s. Transmission replaced with GM certified rebuilt trans. Also done within the last year: alternator, radiator, major break components, shocks and other misc things. (Have receipts for Trans and brakes).
I bought it for only $5500, KBB listed 7500-8000. I bought it because I also have a 2013 limited edition WRX, which has a decent amount of work done to it, and I just wanted something else cheap for my daily driver. And I have a 2 year old and one more on the way, so i wanted something safer and more comfortable for them. I bought the Yukon from an older gentleman whos reason for selling seemed legit. So far its been great with no issues, suspension seems lose/wobbly, but im used to driving imports with a more stiff suspension. Took it to my suspension/alignment shop just yesterday and they said all the suspension looks just fine.
Things I am looking to do it:
Tune up – Spark plugs, looks like everyone likes the AC delcos? Oil change, probably mobile one synthetic, or some other quality syn. What does everyone recommend for oil filter? Any other inexpensive, relatively easy tune up things you guys recommend I should do?
Lowering kit – Want to do a 3/5 drop. My suspension guy recommended I should to the Mcgaughys kit. He said he’s had a lot of problems with the belltech ones not lining up correctly for installation ( he’s not a dealer for either company). If I do this kit is there anything else I should do suspension wise to make it ride better or just hold up better? (planning on 22” rims eventually)
CAI – Looking at buying the K&N 57 series, Ill probably order today I can get it from AutoAnything for $225 shipped
Headlights/Tail lights – Kit comes with all four headlights and both tail lights only 275 shipped, ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231644928762?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Grill- Chrome denali style (yukon fitment) $150 shipped ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301316233651?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Muffler/exhaust – Just want do an inexpensive setup, looking at the FM delta 50. I want something that’s throaty but not droney on the highway. What do you guys recommend?

Please let me know any tips, hints or feedback on my plans. Thanks everyone

yukon%202.jpg

yukon%203.jpg

yukon%201.jpg

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Looks and sounds clean. So many NBS trucks on here with a long list of mods and advice. Here are a few things I've done to my 06 Tahoe. You can also click on my signature for my build thread.

Drop kit, hit up Tony NorCal SS
3/5-6 drop
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=88

Have a K&N and Flowmaster 50. Spyder LED tail lights, LED parking lights. No HIDs here but loads of guys who have that knowledge.

Good luck. Have fun. The list is endless...

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plugs, ngk 4177, don't waste $ on fancy pants expensive plugs.
Oil filter, wix 57060

Save some money, get a specter CAI, then spray it with VHT 2k header paint.
Remove the steel plate below the filter.
Insulate the box with hushmatt, door kit.
Seal the box to hood with ebay round door trim.
If you need help locating the proper stuff. Just ask.
You will see huge gains to sound and some seat of the pants power.
Ive used most of the available CAI's and i like the specter, modded appropriately the best by far.

The obd2 adapter in that list is for android based devices. Use it in combination with "torque" app to monitor any sensor on your yukon, as well as read and clear trouble codes.

http://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/3HZE44CNI72JV/ref=cm_sw_r_it_wl_o_AV8ZvbH5X53YY

Exhaust, no drone, excellent sound.

MBRP S5024409 Single Side Cat Back Exhaust System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U6EA8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_V18Zvb3BD2N5H

Want bright lights?

Ebay a set of oem denali headlights.
Open the projector and clean the lenses.
Shove 55watt 4500k ddm tuning hids in them.
Use a reteofitsource.com relay harness on them.
Ebay a set of projector fogs that fit into your lower valance.
Do the same hid treatment to them.

Do the hot water bypass on the throttle body. There are many YT videos showing how.
While doing the bypass. Remove and clean TB with the berryman b-12 on this amazon list.
Clean your maf with the maf cleaner, also on that list.
This will make a noticeable change to your idle and acceleration quality.
Combine it with a sealed and insulated CAI, you will see vastly improved IAT's.

O yea,

Welcome to TYF! :)
There is a ton of knowledge here, so much so its hard sometimes to find what your looking for and plenty of highly active members to answer any questions you may have.

When you get the "i want more power to move this fat pig" bug.
Come on back and we get ya sorted out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RLAMBERT02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Ezdaar, I actually jumped the gun earlier and bought the K&N intake earlier, ended up only being 200 total after the $25 rebate, just saw this post. Ill definitely be ordering most, if not all, those tune up items real soon; probably tomorrow. I've used seafoam and TB cleaner before on my other cars and i know little things like that will make a good difference.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

For anyone who appreciates AWD Turbo'd beauties heres my baby

2013 WRX in limited edition (1 of 200 in the world) tangerine orange. I bought it almost exactly one year ago and car only had 3,000 miles on it and looked brand new. Now has about 12,000 on it. Decent amount of tasteful mods, if anyone is interested let me know and ill put a list of mods.

WRXDYNO.jpg

WRX%20OPEN.jpg

WRXOPEN.jpg

WRX%20rims.jpg

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I would say the majority on this board have gone with the Belltech kit with excellent results. I have the 2/3 kit installed with 0 issues.

2006yukonxl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Ezdaar, I actually jumped the gun earlier and bought the K&N intake earlier, ended up only being 200 total after the $25 rebate, just saw this post. Ill definitely be ordering most, if not all, those tune up items real soon; probably tomorrow. I've used seafoam and TB cleaner before on my other cars and i know little things like that will make a good difference.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

For anyone who appreciates AWD Turbo'd beauties heres my baby

2013 WRX in limited edition (1 of 200 in the world) tangerine orange. I bought it almost exactly one year ago and car only had 3,000 miles on it and looked brand new. Now has about 12,000 on it. Decent amount of tasteful mods, if anyone is interested let me know and ill put a list of mods.

WRXDYNO.jpg

WRX%20OPEN.jpg

WRXOPEN.jpg

WRX%20rims.jpg

I know it's an old thread and would like to know the mods on your WRX. My son
picked up a 2010 WRX and has added a few things, like exhaust, down pipe, header going on soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zucchini