2004 With Low Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JFranks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just bought a 2004 Tahoe, 5.7L, with 192,000 miles. The fluid and filters have been changed every 2-3 months since new. Everything was working fine until tonight. Got in and started it and the screen on the dash read LOW OIL PRESSURE. The gauge read about 10-15 at idle and dropped to about 5 when I raised the engine to about 1500RPM. I let it warmup a little and the warning would come and go but the pressure never got above 15. Ive checked the oil level, not sure what to do next. Is this a common problem? Thanks for your help!

NJTaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the level on the dip stick?? I ran into this problem also recently. It wasn't even a month after an oil change from pepboys and Low Oil light came on. I checked the pressure gauge it was low, checked dipstick, almost dry. I checked and I don't have any oil leaks.

I think it's just because it's a high mileage vehicle and it burns it off much more now than before. I put in some Royal Purple 10W30. Hasn't been burning through oil anymore. I know some people use Maxlife High Mileage oil also and say that has worked great for oil consumption. I wouldn't let the local shops put in their crap oil, or if you do use a local shop bring your own oil.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First if you have an 04 you most likely have either a 4.8 or a 5.3l engine. If the oil level on stick is good. Dont ruin a good motor, time to look at a new oil pump. The pickup could be plugged or pump is just failing.

OP
OP
J

JFranks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I just checked it again this morning. The oil level on the stick is at the top of the crosshatch area or full. I found no leaks. It has a carquest filter on it. I cranked it , it had 20lbs oil pressure at idle. I let it warmup and raised the rpm to1500 and the pressure dropped to 5 and the LOW OIL PRESSURE light came on. Let it idle and it came up to 10 and stayed there. I raised the rpm again and started to notice a slight tap that didn't stop when I let it go back to idle. I cut it off at that point. I'm thinking oil pump and possible bearings too! I just wanted a second opinion before I commited on a tear down.

And yes it is a 5.3, Thanks.

HankHill

Reaction score
It has a carquest filter on it. I just wanted a second opinion before I commited on a tear down.

And yes it is a 5.3, Thanks.

Put a different oil filter on it. Preferably a Delco/Wix one. See if anything changes.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before you go taking the motor apart use a mechanical gauge to check the oil pressure. the stock gauges are rubish the sending units always go bad. if you are not mechanically inclined have a shop do it its fast and easy

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try changing the filter as posted earlier. Did you just change the oil and all of a suddon it did this? I would be super careful, at this point you might have a motor left.

Before i ever buy an oil filter , at the store i always put the filter up to my mouth and pull air in threw the center hole. These new backflow preventers can add a lot of restriction in my opinion. And i have put filters back on the shelf and tried another one or 2, some i turn blue in the face and cant move any air others open up like a window.

OP
OP
J

JFranks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought the truck last weekend. It looks like the oil was changed a few weeks ago. I was thinking it may be the sending unit to, until I heard the tap in the motor when the oil pressure gauge dropped. I'm calling the dealership tomorrow to see if they will fix it. They may not being it was sold "as-is". If not I will start with the filter and sending unit before tearing it down. Thanks for everyones help!

OP
OP
J

JFranks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer. They agreed to fix the low oil problem even though it was sold "as-is". Funny thing though, as I was pulling it up onto my trailer the oil pressure jumped from 0 to 30. I didn't let it run long enough to see if it would drop again. When I unloaded it the gauge still showed 30PSI. Is it possible the pickup has a hole in it? Either way I should know what was wrong by the end of the week. Thanks again for eveyone's advice!

NJTaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer. They agreed to fix the low oil problem even though it was sold "as-is". Funny thing though, as I was pulling it up onto my trailer the oil pressure jumped from 0 to 30. I didn't let it run long enough to see if it would drop again. When I unloaded it the gauge still showed 30PSI. Is it possible the pickup has a hole in it? Either way I should know what was wrong by the end of the week. Thanks again for eveyone's advice!

Hey man, thats awesome. Thats nice to hear that the dealer is fixing the problem. I think it's only right and good business for them to fix that for you even though it was sold "as-is".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n