2004 Tahoe Z71 Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sorry beforehand for this "ugh... another exhaust thread?!" thread.

I HAVE searched on here, and listened on YouTube, but haven't been able to really get the answers I need.

First of all, there's nothing wrong with my stock exhaust. Except the fact that it's a bit too quiet. I certainly don't want it LOUD, but a little more noise never hurt anything.

I have a wife and a 3 year old daughter and this is the vehicle we take any time we go on any trips. Therefor, I do not want to disturb their naps... and my peace and quiet.

I've looked at the MBRP and Flowmaster (50 series) kits and both seem well priced at $400ish for a full cat back. The MBRP, as read on this forum, seems to be a nice, quiet exhaust that wakes up if you want it to. However, the YouTube videos make it sound like garbage. Raspy, high pitched, and not "V8". I'm sure it's just because it's a recording. But I don't think I can return the exhaust once it's been bolted up.

Has anyone had both the Flowmaster and MBRP cat backs (single side exit) that can compare the exterior and interior sound levels?

Would I be better off just welding an aftermarket muffler in place of the stocker?

Thank you all very much in advance and I'm terribly sorry for the length of this post.

DirtyBlackHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the MBRP catback on my Tahoe and I loved it, BUT it was definitely louder in the cab. Here is my review:
Now to what matters...how does it sound
I couldn't be happier with the sound as it breaks in. At first it was a little loud, but now it has mellowed out. I just took a trip this weekend and there is ZERO drone on the highway, but you can hear the exhaust. there is a slight rumble on the interstate, that is just enough to let you know that there is exhaust on the truck. So far it has gotten better every time I have driven it, so we shall see. For anyone looking for a cat back for their Tahoe that is extremely well built/but cheap as can be this is the kit. For under $300 I got a full catback exhaust, 3" tubing, and a very good sounding exhaust.

overall for the price i am EXTREMELY happy with it.

If you don't need to replace the exhaust system and want something a little quieter I would buy a Dynatech Split Flow muffler. They are the closest muffler to a Corsa Sport I have found, and that is an amazing sound.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 50 series flowmaster with three inch pipe from the Y pipe to the muffler and dual two and a half inch tails with four inch tips. It`s loud but i have no drone and when cruising on the highway you know you it`s there but it`s not obnoxious and you can easily have a conversation with someone in the back seat without raising your voice.

This is a clip of my truck.

th_MVI_9307_zps4c97cd14.jpg

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a Jones MF2590 muffler from Amazon. It is a Magnaflow copy.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have is a Magnaflow muffler and I love the sound.
I'm sure the cat back and all that would be a little louder than what I have and mine is not bad. Sometime my Tahoe won't want to shift and it will be real loud inside since it's at high RPM's, but it really isn't that bad. Not something that will disturb a nap if you don't punch it.

Walkercraig01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going for the borla xr1. I called the local muffler shop and asked them if they carried borla and they acted like they never heard of it. But said if I bring it in they will weld it in for me. But borla has a great sound just to give you another option

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper