2004 chevy tahoe z71. Crank no. Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

milo909

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a 2004 tahoe z71. It doesn't start after 10 or 15 minutes. I shut it off. Not codes. So, if you are able to turn on and drive it to wherever you want, then shut it off and wait 10 to 15 and try to start it again it doesn't start. I'm guessing I have a bad crank sensor.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to follow your classical crank-no-fire diagnostics procedure.

Next time if fails to start, check:

1. Spark. Multiple locations.
2. Fuel. What's the pressure with key on, engine off? Does it hold pressure for a few minutes?
3. Air? Wouldn't hurt to check air filter
4. Compression? I'm assuming engine runs okay otherwise?

Then go from there.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Besides what @strutaeng noted, I'll add a couple of things.

Next time it won't start, hold the accelerator pedal to the floor to use clear flood mode. Crank it with the pedal on the floor and, if it starts, you likely have a leaky fuel injector or an evap purge valve that's not closing. That would mean that fuel or fuel vapor is getting into the cylinders or intake, which shouldn't happen with the ignition off.

When it won't start, does the tach move while you're cranking it? On a cold start watch the tach while you crank it to see how it acts; then you'll know how it SHOULD act when you're having trouble.

Lastly, it wouldn't hurt to have a Crankshaft Variation Relearn procedure done with a capable scanner, just to rule that out.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz