2004 denali downshift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
Recently my Denali has been downshifting hard from 3-2 and 2-1 when coming to a coasting stop. I noticed that the RPM raises slightly upon downshifting as well. I've searched for this issue but haven't come up with much as far as answers. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked your fluid level lately? Any check engine lights? Sound funny but a faulted MAF can cause max trans line pressure which causes harsh shifts. Just thinking aloud....

OP
OP
pnwdan

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
Checked your fluid level lately? Any check engine lights? Sound funny but a faulted MAF can cause max trans line pressure which causes harsh shifts. Just thinking aloud....
No codes and fluid level is fine but I am going to change it and the filter soon. I cleaned the TB but not the MAF. Ill look into that

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its not any of that then it possibly something needing service inside the trans unfortunately.

OP
OP
pnwdan

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
If its not any of that then it possibly something needing service inside the trans unfortunately.

did a full fluid swap and filter change this weekend. the inside of the pan looked really good. cleaned the MAF as well. seems to have settled down a bit.

OP
OP
pnwdan

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
I'm bumping this because it is still occurring. The trans works great with the exception of a hard 3-2 downshift. 2-1 is louder but is only the typical clack from the slack in the drive shaft splines. i did have BB tune my truck and Justin stated that a dirty throttle body will cause the truck to keep the RPS higher when stopping thus harder downshifts. i have cleaned the TB and still no change..

OP
OP
pnwdan

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
I just wanted to update this.

After searching and searching, the best info I could come up with is that a solenoid or something is sticking causing the harsh downshift so on a whim I tried what others have for similar issues. I put a bottle of red Lubegard in there. I'm not usually one for just hoping for a miracle in a bottle but after having it in there for only a few hours it has already cut the feel of the harsh downshift in half. Time will tell and if anything changes I will update this again.

DeepSeaFish

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad solenoid on the valve body maybe. I had a similar issue recently which resulted in a burned solenoid. Other possibility could be a torque converter issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reveita42