2003 Z71 Tahoe intermittent battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hutch123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm gonna swap them cables when I get back in town. Will update. Any ideas on where to buy them for less than 100 lol?

bladenbullet

Reaction score
you may not need to replace them....I had a cable causing a dead vehicle 2 years ago and repaired it by re-crimping the ends and sweating them with solder...a simple voltage drop test can identify whether a cable is faulty...

with a dmm set to volts place one probe on the battery terminal (under the cable end) and the other on the other end of the cable...with the fuel pump disabled crank the engine and watch the voltage....it should remain below .1 volts...honestely it should be in the low hundredths of a volt...any reading above that indicates you are losing voltage through a bad connection...

these vehicles are notorious for cable ends losing contact with the cable itself...the result is a dead vehicle after trying to crank...

in the event the cable is dropping voltage, use a propane torch to heat the end...drop some soldering paste in the joint and sweat some solder into it...it is a permanent repair...mine was dropping 1.5 volts when I tested it...the vehicle would go completely dead intermittently when trying to crank about once every 1-2 weeks....it has been over 2 years since the fix and no problems at all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo