2002 Yukon, 140k miles, Fixing up over time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel free to post vids of storm chasing adventures! I love that kind of stuff but never had a vehicle that I wanted to let take the beating :)

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Haha some 'spending freeze' you're on! Sounds about like mine...got a new windshield and water pump this week.

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha some 'spending freeze' you're on! Sounds about like mine...got a new windshield and water pump this week.

Heh, I pay off the main credit card every month. As long as I don't put the savings in danger I'm ok with splurging. I haven't really spent shit on myself for some time.... well... the ISF is paid off and that was a chunk of change.. wait you're not my wife and I don't owe you an explanation!

I'm up late with a big beer in hand because I just finished a quickish detail of the Yukon. I had to hold back because first the Yukon has a shit ton of surface area compared to my other cars and second, its a truck destined for big storms and hail and far from a show car.

Sooooo...

First I clay bar'ed:
2nAUp8L.jpg

Then I used my 10 year old random orbital thingie to polish:
bWBIwoH.jpg

Because I'm willing to experiment on the Yukon I gave this a shot.
wnUuFVc.jpg

Turns out it took 2 entire passes of the body to go from this:
U2kvcMt.jpg

To this:
OG1A4Zi.jpg

Not perfect but much better. I had some lighter polish to follow but since I was on day 2 I decided to use my usual sealant. Its not the shiniest but on my 2 other black cars, holds up great over time compared to caranuba wax.
dOACDqx.jpg

And I expect the bitches to be like this driving the polished blue turd to work tomorrow:
WHUSKa3.gif

Oh and here is my garage buddy we adopted 9mo ago. A smart ass manx that learned to open our doors the second day here. She often provides feedback on my progress. No, I don't have kids.
6A9Y6EZ.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Truck is coming out nice man. Funny how Amazon mysteriously ships parts to you..

BTW, I dig your wheels.

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was hard to get a good picture this morning but everything came out good enough. Still some scratches, scrapes and dings but better than before.

OL8pE9Z.jpg

lghqF0Z.jpg

03MVS6f.jpg

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Well if you get bored you can load up and come detail mine anytime.

Sent from Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you get bored you can load up and come detail mine anytime.

Sent from Tapatalk

:hmmm2: nope.

;)

I think the suspension and whatnot are all buttoned up now. I put on the new wheel bearing assemblies and sway bars yesterday. It took me 5 hours taking my time.

If ever someone wants to pull their assemblies, for the love of god get the right tools. I heard horror stories of this job from people taking days, using hammers and penetrating fluid. Get a proper hub puller and a 10lb slide hammer!!!

Two whacks on the drivers side and everything fell apart. The passenger side was totally rusted up and took 10 whacks.

o0S9yH2.jpg

All this rust seals the assemblies in tight.

43V6ffM.jpg

Cleaned up with dremmel wire brush attachment. And afterwards I used antiseize and a ton of grease all over to keep it from sticking in the future and to stave off future rust.

kUunc0c.jpg

Timken VS stock. They seemed well designed and very hefty!

YDTvdkg.jpg

Uzujf5A.jpg

wylmxzp.jpg

Everythiing with the sway bar. I didn't take a comparison pic with the sway bar but the Eibachs were MUCH heavier and thicker for both front and rear bars.

MwZ0uEB.jpg

Results? No more loud bearings!! As for the sway bars, holy crap what a difference!! The truck used to wallow about and float through turns. It never felt planted or connected even in straight lines. I know I come from a line of tight sports cars but I just hated the way the truck felt. WOW is all I can say. GM should have delivered these trucks with similar sway bars!! When testing I was able to kick the rear end out through a turn. Very fun and I'm very happy.

:)

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front driveshaft rattles at about 1.5K RPM. I can shake it a tad. It appears the u joints are toast.

Got some replacements coming. $44 to the door for everything. No more big purchases for a while as I have plenty of little things to keep me busy.

Heavy duty AC Delco non greasing.

G1fVkHL.png

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some of my posts are mundane but I hope this thread will be useful if I choose to sell in the future. That or a helpful warning to others to just fix problems as they occur!!

Tonight was a small interior job. The rear cup holder clip was broken so the cup holder would flop about. It took an hour to get the replacement in and done.

The kicker??!?!!

THIS LITTLE CLIP COSTS $25.00!!!! Mother EFFER!!!
yIMBaMm.jpg

Even better it appears a big gulp of coke exploded in the car. Its EVERYWHERE. Anytime I remove an interior panel I have to clean up a sticky mess.

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More boring updates.

Fixed the steering clunk for a short amount of time. I used a grease gun with some thick royal purple stuff.

Tie down the wheel.
3nYaTcY.jpg

15mm bolt removed, clip in tube removed and grease gun up the nether regions.
gRM9wiT.jpg

Also I fixed my broken mirror switch. It would work only in some directions. The part isnt serviceable supposedly but is easy to take apart. Once done clean the contact points. I went as far as scratching up with sand paper lightly.
1KTBqMz.jpg

qqt1K00.jpg

wU4Aioo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667