2002 5.3 Crank appears to wobble at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay - Took the measurements. Radial runout 0.023", Spec. is 0.40mm (0.0157")
I have a bunch of pictures if anyone is interested. My mag. base for dial indicator worked perfectly.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to confirm the correct process for replacing the HB? I'm planning to have the mechanic take this one out and put in a Fluidxxxxx.

Process:
1- remove existing/old bolt
2 - pull damper off with proper pull tool
3 - remove and install and pre-lube new seal
4 - lube crank and ID of new damper
5 - lock flywheel
6 - use install tool to pull damper completely on
7 - Install OLD bolt and torque to 240 ft lbs
8 - remove OLD bolt and install new bolt to torque 37 ft lbs
9 - torque an additional 140 degrees
Done

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to confirm the correct process for replacing the HB? I'm planning to have the mechanic take this one out and put in a Fluidxxxxx.

Process:
1- remove existing/old bolt
2 - pull damper off with proper pull tool
3 - remove and install and pre-lube new seal
4 - lube crank and ID of new damper
5 - lock flywheel
6 - use install tool to pull damper completely on
7 - Install OLD bolt and torque to 240 ft lbs
8 - remove OLD bolt and install new bolt to torque 37 ft lbs
9 - torque an additional 140 degrees
Done
That's the correct procedure. After Step 7 you are supposed to check the measurement between the pulley where the bolt mates and the crankshaft snout.

The 240 ft-lb and 140 degrees tightening is a bear. I just installed mine on an engine I have in a stand. My 24" digital torque wrench was 24" too short! LoL

"Maybe" you should consider replacing the front cover seal(?) But your engine looks pretty clean. Maybe not?

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the correct procedure. After Step 7 you are supposed to check the measurement between the pulley where the bolt mates and the crankshaft snout.

The 240 ft-lb and 140 degrees tightening is a bear. I just installed mine on an engine I have in a stand. My 24" digital torque wrench was 24" too short! LoL

"Maybe" you should consider replacing the front cover seal(?) But your engine looks pretty clean. Maybe not?
Thanks. I'll check with the mechanic to see if he agrees with this procedure. I hope he doesn't get pissed at me. He may have done this last time - I was watching but I didn't know this procedure at the time. Touchy situation.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point, yes they do. I'm going to ask the mechanic if he would prefer that. It's about $50. He will need the correct type of socket.

Actually better price at Summit. Looks like 235 lb-ft torque. Is this the thread we were talking about how tight this thing are and they are not keyed?

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the bolt (better price) and from many accounts it is not keyed. I'm thinking the ARP bolt has a higher yield point that doesn't require it to be a one use bolt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20