2000-2002 Stock Sub enclosure??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subwoofer connector part numbers:

Male:
12052833 Connector
12047581 Terminal (need 2)
12047665 Terminal Lock

Female:
12052832 Connector
12047767 Terminal (need 2)
12047664 Terminal Lock

You can get it from here: It is connector "C." Or order them through Mouser.com. Much cheaper than the dealer.

http://terminalsupplyco.com/pdfviewer2011/default.asp?chapter=connectors&page=p063

Thank you very much, Keith! I obtained all the connector pieces.

For those reading with shorty's (not XL's), any comments I may have made earlier about depth measurements for sub drivers in the factory enclosure would not apply to short wheelbase vehicles. Only long wheelbase. Therefore, you may be able to fit an 8W7 in a shorty enclosure. Keith would know far better than I would in that regard.

SuedePflow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an '01 Suburban with a factory 8" sub in the OE plastic enclosure. When I bought the truck, the factory sub was in bad shape. The surround was gone and the voice coil had damage. I've since tried 3 different subs in that enclosure and nothing sounds good. Nothing has a deep bass tone and they all sound like I'm over-working the speaker.

I first tried a Kicker C8 with a single 4ohm VC. It was too deep for the enclosure, so I made a 3/4" spacer out of MDF and it fit fine. This speaker ran well for about 2 months and eventually died. It seemed that with the spacer, the speaker was hitting against the OE grille. The rubber surround eventually tore and the VC eventually became damaged. So I knew I needed a shollow-mount sub.

Round 2 was an MB Quart RPL204. It had a 4ohm dual VC, ran parallel to 2ohm. This sub sounded so bad right out of the box that I figured it was defective. It always had terrible VC rattle. I returned it.

Round 3 was a Rockford Fosgate P3, dual 2-ohm VC's ran in series to get 4 ohm. This sub sounded just like the MB Quart. Terrible right out of the box. What are the odds that two different subs in a row are defective? I returned it too.

At this point, I'm starting to think it's the enclosure. I like the enclosure because it's built into the interior and takes up no extra space. I can load down the hatch without having a speaker box in the way. I absolutely love that. But I can't seem to get anything to sound good in it.

So, I recently installed one of those powered sub enclosures to try something other than the OE enclosure. It was a 10" Rockford, and I found it very lacking. I can hardly tell there's a subwoofer present with the gain at 50%, and anything above 50% and sound quality goes out the window. I'll probably be returning this too.

I'm willing to try anything at this point. If someone has a recommendation of a good sub to fit the factory enclosure and not sound like garbage, please post it up. Or if it's common knowledge that the OE plastic sub enclosure isn't good for sound quality, let me know so I can officially give up on it. I'm basically just looking for a little bit of bass, but I want it to sound deep and clean. Nothing really loud by any means. I'm beginning to think an 8" or 10" sub isn't going to get it done with such a large interior. But I'm completely open to suggestions.

BTW, My amp is a Rockford and puts out 300 watts to a single channel at 2 ohm. I always set gain acccordingly. I'd rather not spend any money on a new amp if I don't have to.

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The enclosure is really small and I didn't even bother with it. Mine is just a mid now adjusted down with the aftermarket radio. I decided just to do a box I had in a Honda. Very little room taken up and I added quick disconnects (RC deans connectors) to power, ground and signal to pull it out in under 30 sec. It rattles the rear view to the unviewable point and side mirrors. 12 in a 15"x15"x14" half sealed box. Kicker CVR and boss 1600watt 2 channel (eBay $65)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376590343.712772.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Harrison256

Reaction score
Well I have the 8w3v3 and the OEM box from a tahoe so I'll be giving it a shot. I plan on cutting out the oem plastic grill on the trim panel and having the sub pop through it. Just put spacers on the front of the box until it lines up.

As far as volume of the box I went ahead and filled it with water and got approximately .325 cubic ft which is exactly what the JL requires for a sealed enclosure.

I will line the inside with dynomat to give the box a little more oomph and make up for the extra volume I'll be adding to the box with the mdf spacer on the top

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SuedePFlow,

Thank you very much for your detailed post, complete with the speaker driver brands and part numbers that you have tried, and the results you found. Much appreciated.

I don't think the factory box is to be blamed. At some point, albeit for only a short while, the sound from that box was acceptable to you, until a mechanical clearance issue that you successfully identified caused it to fail.

So the most logical and immediate solution that comes to mind is for you to repurchase (better yet, obtain under warranty, if possible) another copy of the original Kicker driver that you liked, and at the same time purchase a grille for designed for it.

Then cut a large circle following the guidelines molded into the trim panel, and remove the factory grille that intersected with the outward excursion of your driver. The new replacement driver will have it's own protective grill that is designed for it.

If you want, you can even paint match the speaker grille to match the interior trim color, if a more factory look is desired.

Alternatively, there is a shallow mount Pioneer 8" sub driver that you might consider trying out. Part number TS-SW841D. This thing only requires 2.5" of mounting depth, and can be in an enclosure as low as .15 CuFt. It has up to a 500 watt power handling, so your 300 watt amp will be in the speaker's sweet spot, on paper at least. Resistance is 4 ohms.

There is also the JL Audio 8W1v2, which is discontinued, but there is remaining old stock here and there. It is also 4 ohms, but is going to require you going back to the MDF faceboard again, as it has a deeper minimum mounting depth of 3.85". By comparison however, the Kicker C8 that you liked is 4.0626" deep, so the JL might not collide with the factory plastic panel at all, saving your factory stock look.

The more I think about it, the more I think you should try that Pioneer. I've read some other posts, but forgot which forum, there are so many, about folks using Pioneer shallow mounts in the factory enclosure.

When reading forum posts, be careful to distinguish between Tahoes versus Suburbans, and likewise for their respective corporate twin equivalents from GMC and Cadillac. As you know, due to the fuel inlet housing, the Suburban box is much shallower where the driver mounts. So anyone talking about fitting 8W3v3 drivers, at 4.63" deep, likely has a Tahoe, or has made modifications that intrude more significantly into the interior clearance outside of the trim panel.

Thanks again for posting, and welcome to the forums. I learned a lot from your post, and hope you find a solution that works for you again, that is more reliable and longer lasting, as well as decent sounding.

One more thing... I wonder if you can borrow another amp, just to rule out the possibility that the amp circuitry is undermining your efforts. It was kind of a surprise to read of your disappointment with the otherwise well respected MBQuart. That made me suspect an amp issue. But I'm not an expert.

Also, have you measured the interior volume of your Sub box? Will you do that as a favor to yourself, and for us as well? We cannot assume that the interior volume of the Tahoe box matches the Sub box. I have the Sub box, but the original factory driver is still well sealed onto it, and since it is in good condition, I don't want to break the seal.

If your box is already a big hole waiting to be filled, then if you measure the interior volume, we can all know if some of these drivers that you are trying are correctly matched to the box. The Pioneer TS-SW814D appears to have quite a bit of latitude in their recommended enclosure size, from 0.15 to 0.50 CuFt. On the other hand, the JL 8W1v2 has a narrowly defined 0.30 recommendation for sealed enclosures.

Keep us posted as to what you decided on, and how it works out for you.

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Popping back in here to add another subwoofer.

Instead of retrying another Kicker C8 and cutting your plastic, how about trying the Kicker CompRT 8". It has a very shallow 2 11/16" (2.6875") mounting depth, which is only 3/16" more than the thin mount Pioneer I mentioned in the post above.

Since you already know you like the sound of a Kicker, then perhaps the CompRT 8 should be your next try, above all other options mentioned. The CompRT 8 can live with a sealed enclosure volume as little as 0.2 CuFt.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, you mention saving money. The rear factory sub project is a lot of time and effort for potentially unsatisfactory results. That's why the people that really want quality bass in the oem location spend the $$$ for a custom enclosure. Question really is, what do you expect? Have you ever heard a shallow mount woofer? If you just need bass for overall sound quality, you may want to look into the oem center consoles that have woofers inside.

SuedePflow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So the most logical and immediate solution that comes to mind is for you to repurchase (better yet, obtain under warranty, if possible) another copy of the original Kicker driver that you liked, and at the same time purchase a grille for designed for it.

Then cut a large circle following the guidelines molded into the trim panel, and remove the factory grille that intersected with the outward excursion of your driver. The new replacement driver will have it's own protective grill that is designed for it.

If you want, you can even paint match the speaker grille to match the interior trim color, if a more factory look is desired.
Thanks for the post.

I seriously considered doing exactly this. I'm just unsure if I'm willing to permanently modify my interior panel like that. I guess I'd rather not have to but I'd use this route as a last resort.

Alternatively, there is a shallow mount Pioneer 8" sub driver that you might consider trying out. Part number TS-SW841D. This thing only requires 2.5" of mounting depth, and can be in an enclosure as low as .15 CuFt. It has up to a 500 watt power handling, so your 300 watt amp will be in the speaker's sweet spot, on paper at least. Resistance is 4 ohms.
The two subs I'm currently eyeballing are that Pioneer and the Kicker 10CVT8-4. Though I'm pretty sure that the outside diameter of the mounting ring is too large on both of them to sit nicely within the recess of the OE Suburban enclosure. So, I'd have to use a spacer and that might put me right back to where I was with my first Kicker.

I wish someone offered a nice aftermarket enclosure to fit in the factory location. I've seen center counsel enclosures and under seat enclosures, and neither are available for my 2001 Suburban.

One more thing... I wonder if you can borrow another amp, just to rule out the possibility that the amp circuitry is undermining your efforts. It was kind of a surprise to read of your disappointment with the otherwise well respected MBQuart. That made me suspect an amp issue. But I'm not an expert.
Great minds think alike. :) Upon having issues with the MB Quart, I did decide to rule out the amp. I swapped in the Rockford amp from my car and there was no change in quality or output. I tried both amps with the Rockford sub as well.

Also, have you measured the interior volume of your Sub box? Will you do that as a favor to yourself, and for us as well? We cannot assume that the interior volume of the Tahoe box matches the Sub box. I have the Sub box, but the original factory driver is still well sealed onto it, and since it is in good condition, I don't want to break the seal.
I asked it's volume on a different GM truck forum, and was told .04 CuFt. I assume he meant .4, but that still seems too small. So, I guess I'll have to measure myself. I can fill it with water, but what's the easiest method for measuring how much water I've got? Poor it into quarts?

I'm returning the loaded Rockford tomorrow, so I'll be ordering something within the next couple days. I'm leaning toward the Pioneer, but I'll report back with what I do next.

Last edited:

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you considering the older CompVT at 3.375", when the newer CompRT, at 2.625" will fit better by almost an inch in depth, which will increase the interior volume of the enclosure, and reduce the risk of excursion strike and wear?

We gotta keep track of all these Subs. I just logged in to report another one I found, only to realize that you've tried it (the P3). But for the record, here is a list of SHALLOW MOUNT 8" subs that have mounting depths less than the 3.5" depth of the factory rear enclosure for YXL's and Burbs.

- Pioneer TS-SW841D : Mounting Cutout = 7.38" Mounting Depth = 2.50" (THE Shallowest 8" sub found)

- Kicker CompRT 8 : Mounting Diameter = 7.00" Mounting Depth = 2.69"

- Kicker CompVT 8 : Mounting Diameter = 7.06" Mounting Depth = 3.38"

- Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 / P3SD4-8 : Cutout Diameter = 7.13" Mounting Depth = 2.66"

- Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F : Mounting Hole = 7.44" Mounting Depth = 2.75"

- MB Quart RLP204 8" Mounting Diameter = 7.17" Mounting Depth = 2.77"
OUTSIDE DIAMETER OF TRIM RING = 8.43"

The following additions to this list below have mounting depths GREATER than the 3.5" limit I believe the factory Suburban/YukonXL box can comfortably fit. However, owners have reported installing these in their factory boxes, although in the case of Yukons, it isn't always clear whether or not they have an XL or a short wheel base. The shorter wheelbase Yukon has almost an inch more mounting depth space than the longer wheelbase.

- Memphis 8" drivers reportedly used, but all mounting depth specs exceed depth of enclosure. Discontinued 8" mounting depths are 4.1", and current model mounting depths are 4.5". Sealed enclosure volume needs to be 0.44 cu. ft., slightly larger than factory enclosure. (Memphis notations added on edit July 27, 2015)

- Polk Audio db840DVC (between 3.5 to 4.0 mounting depth, depending on info source consulted)

- Pyle PLPW8D (approximately 3.7" mounting depth... the least expensive driver found to date, at only $19.95 new when on sale. Normally $24.95)

- Discontinued 8" Subwoofers that reportedly somewhat fit in the factory sealed enclosure include the Polk Audio Momo MM2084 and the Rockford Fosgate Punch P2. The specs for these discontinued products still are not as shallow fitting as the 8" subs specifically listed above. (edited 7/27/15)

Please post up any other relevant specs of models of 8" shallow mount subs that you are aware of, and for as long as I am afforded the privilege of editing my post, I will update this list to add your entry.

Keep in mind, just because a manufacturer uses the words "Thin" and "shallow mount" in their description, doesn't mean that driver qualifies for our application here. To make it on this list, the subwoofer driver must of 8" nominal diameter, and have a Mounting Depth specification of less than 3.50".

Edited to add the mounting depth and cutout/diameter dimensions. Wording used to describe "diameter" changes from speaker to speaker, in order to replicate the manufacturer's choice of wording in describing the diameter. Manufacturers were not consistent in how they described the diameter, but were all consistent in how the described mounting depth. This doesn't mean they were consistent in how they MEASURED mounting depth or diameter.

Hopefully, you who are reading this will know of or find a few more 8" shallow mount subs to add to this list, which will then make a handy reference of choices for when the factory sub foam surround wears out, or for folks trying to find a better sounding driver.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghostknight

Latest posts