20 or 22 inch wheels for the Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdrumm

Reaction score
The 15's are so big, they dwarf the 20's. Get the 22's for sure.

STAY IN IT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 22s look incredible. One of the best factory rims I have seen. That being said, I went with the 20s for one reason, ride. My wife would not be happy with the 22s from the ride standpoint. There is a difference, if you have the same manufacturer/model tire to compare the ride difference between sizes. Unfortunately, mine came with crappy Continental "mileage" tires. I'm sure my ride would be significantly better with good Michelin tires or equivalent.

When I bought my 3/4 ton truck, all my buddies told me I made a mistake not getting a SRW 1 ton due to the fact it has more pin weight capacity and the ride is "about the same". I don't pull anything other than bumper pull trailers and my tongue weights don't require more capacity. My ride is definitely not plush, but it's not lumber wagon, 1 ton rough. I made the right decision for ME.

Point is, ride harshness is subjective. Some don't notice much difference, but it's best to drive both on the same roads to determine whether it makes a difference to you.

Good luck!

thefixx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think the stock Denali 22's are ridiculous, the size is great, but they are brushed aluminum, with plastic inserts of chrome? What?. I ordered my Denali with the 20's because they are available in all chrome, and then I special ordered from GMC accessories the 22's for the 2015 Sierrra, they are all Chrome, not brushed aluminum with plastic inserted chrome pieces. They fit perfectly, the off-set is right-on between the 2015 Sierra, and the 2015 Yukon. Sorry, but the stock 22's that are available for the Yukon do not do the vehicle justice, you need to get all chrome!

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock 22 are sweet. You can remove the inserts and do whatever custom finish you desire. The 22 will come with the Bridgestone tire which is the better tire and comphy ride.

The escalade only comes in 22 go figure and it's 20k more.

You will enjoy the larger rims. Cost is tire is minimal when you factor over 4 years time.

Ride will be the same. Not very noticeable. That's why they still warrantee everything the same on both sizes of rims.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I flip flopped between 20" and 17" on our Tahoe for summer/winter use and didn't notice any ride difference. The 20" sure handled better, and I felt the wider foot print rode better.

When the truck pics were released last fall, I personally loved the look of the 22" Denali wheels. A much better looking wheel than what Cadillac offered on the Escalade. The painted wheel with chrome accents look rich, without the thug bling.

IMO, The 20" simply look too small on this new truck. Cadillac only uses the 20" on their entry level truck with good reason. They don't look right, and I personally haven't seen 20" wheels on a Caddy in years.

Ride difference? Again, Cadillac uses them almost exclusively, so their engineers must be comfortable that the difference doesn't change the ride.
Handling will be better with the 22".

Last edited:

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 3/4 ton truck, all my buddies told me I made a mistake not getting a SRW 1 ton due to the fact it has more pin weight capacity and the ride is "about the same". I don't pull anything other than bumper pull trailers and my tongue weights don't require more capacity. My ride is definitely not plush, but it's not lumber wagon, 1 ton rough. I made the right decision for ME.

Good luck!

Slightly off topic.
I can't speak for GM trucks because I'm a Ford truck guy, but the ride on an 3/4 ton F-250 and an 1 ton F-350 are the same.
The springs are the same, except the 350 uses a helper spring in the rear if you load down.
What you get for the extra $800.00 is more tow rating courtesy of larger, beefier brakes and rotors, an extra 2" lift on the rear courtesy of spring blocks, thicker rear axles, and a larger rear end. Well worth the price difference without the ride difference.
As I said, I can't speak for GM trucks. There may be a ride difference between the 2500 and 3500.

I highly doubt there is any ride difference between 20" and 22" rubber. Tires are so much better today, as well as suspension technology.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ride difference? Again, Cadillac uses them almost exclusively, so their engineers must be comfortable that the difference doesn't change the ride.
Handling will be better with the 22".

THIS!!!

If a "luxury" brand would put a 22" rim on there, it will ride good enough for anything else, especially if you are using the same size tires as OEM.

jimim

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I would go with 22's also. Deff gives the truck a great look. Just that little bit of less black wall of the tire makes the rim pop a lot more. I have 22's on my new tahoe and the ride is good. I had 20's on my 2011 tahoe. I ended up not ordering the chrome 22's from the factory with my tahoe. I didn't like the chrome choices vs getting OEM chevy 22's along with the factory 20's. The choices were much better this way, again a lot more cause I was buying 2 sets of rims and tires now, but I don't want to ruin the chrome 22's in the winter soI have the factory 20's to use for winter. Again more money but I was already in it this far as you are so I figured what's a few more at least I will always have good condition summer shoes cause these NEPA winters suck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Instigator01