2" vs 3" spindles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I don't know exactly how low the front was because the air ride was blown out and wasn't sitting level to begin with... I would say I'm lowered 3.5" up front and 4" in the back. Perfect if you ask me with my tire/wheel combo... I thought about going a little lower but I'm in Michigan and we get snow. At this height I also have NO problems pulling into parking spots (doesn't hit the concrete barriers in most cases)

View attachment 192408 View attachment 192409

You are running 22's and I have 20's but I checked and the height difference is negligible.

32.1" to my 31.9" ... what is 2/10" amongst friends... lol

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are running 22's and I have 20's but I checked and the height difference is negligible.

32.1" to my 31.9" ... what is 2/10" amongst friends... lol
Here is a picture before the installation of the drop struts, spindles and rear springs...

IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0572 2.JPG

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering a 4/6 but it is my wife's daily driver and I don't want to cause any issues with the comfort of the ride.

I think the 4/6 is the perfect height, easy to get in and out of. Easy to load things in the back as well as get things in/out using the rear window.

Comfort, that's a different story. While it is comfortable to drive (short distances), I'm noticing the more I drive it the more noise its making. Its squeaking like crazy and I hear what sounds like metal on metal. Kind of like slop in the bolts. The rear bounces like crazy going over bumps or dips like I'm in a low rider hittin the switches. Almost like the shocks are shot.

2 days ago, I finally was able to drive it further than my 2.5 mile trip to work, haha. I took an hour drive round trip. That's when I noticed how bad it drove. Bouncy, noisy, and not comfortable. My wife even asked, what's all that noise. All I can do is shake my head.

Once the weather finally clears I will be evaluating the situation and going from there. But, I can honestly say most if not all of my suspension components will be being replaced with something more performance oriented.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I think the 4/6 is the perfect height, easy to get in and out of. Easy to load things in the back as well as get things in/out using the rear window.

Comfort, that's a different story. While it is comfortable to drive (short distances), I'm noticing the more I drive it the more noise its making. Its squeaking like crazy and I hear what sounds like metal on metal. Kind of like slop in the bolts. The rear bounces like crazy going over bumps or dips like I'm in a low rider hittin the switches. Almost like the shocks are shot.

2 days ago, I finally was able to drive it further than my 2.5 mile trip to work, haha. I took an hour drive round trip. That's when I noticed how bad it drove. Bouncy, noisy, and not comfortable. My wife even asked, what's all that noise. All I can do is shake my head.

Once the weather finally clears I will be evaluating the situation and going from there. But, I can honestly say most if not all of my suspension components will be being replaced with something more performance oriented.

What brand/type of components are you running?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pedders coils
Bell Tech Spindles
Bell Tech adjustable struts
Tonys rear 6" drop coils (I think they're DJM)
Bell Tech rear shocks

I think the biggest issue with "bolt-on" suspension is, you don't know the specs of the components. Meaning the spring rate and how the shocks are valved. Just because it says "sport" really doesn't mean jack.
In my old truck, I had Hotchkis full suspension. I knew what rate the springs were and the valving per shock was specific to the rate of the coil. That's how you build and tune a suspension. Hotchkis worked with Bilstein and created a great all around suspension that worked great. That was also on 16" wheels with snow tires as well as 20" wheels with 285/50 tires.

I'm determined to get my 07 to the specs of my old truck, even though it's still roughly 1k pounds heavier :)

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pedders coils
Bell Tech Spindles
Bell Tech adjustable struts
Tonys rear 6" drop coils (I think they're DJM)
Bell Tech rear shocks

I think the biggest issue with "bolt-on" suspension is, you don't know the specs of the components. Meaning the spring rate and how the shocks are valved. Just because it says "sport" really doesn't mean jack.
In my old truck, I had Hotchkis full suspension. I knew what rate the springs were and the valving per shock was specific to the rate of the coil. That's how you build and tune a suspension. Hotchkis worked with Bilstein and created a great all around suspension that worked great. That was also on 16" wheels with snow tires as well as 20" wheels with 285/50 tires.

I'm determined to get my 07 to the specs of my old truck, even though it's still roughly 1k pounds heavier :)
Curious if you did the free travel mod or not. I did not yet... Also, do you have helper bags? Might help with the ride quality but you should ask Tony. My wife complains when I go over pot holes but I'm in Michigan, they're freaking craters. Mine handles corners and high speeds like a champ but can be rough at times I guess. Some Dyno Mat in the doors would help A LOT...

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) in rear did you drill the 2 holes over on axle to push swaybar over?
2) did you grease the rear endlinks?
3) did you torque them to 30 foot lbs when on ground?
4) springs are my design springs they are not DJM off shelf springs that other places have

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if you did the free travel mod or not. I did not yet... Also, do you have helper bags? Might help with the ride quality but you should ask Tony. My wife complains when I go over pot holes but I'm in Michigan, they're freaking craters. Mine handles corners and high speeds like a champ but can be rough at times I guess. Some Dyno Mat in the doors would help A LOT...

Yes, I did the free travel mod. I do but they did not include any fittings. I need to go the local parts store to see if they carry the fitting I need.
I'd have to attribute the better handling to the lower profile tires. People don't realize how much of a difference lower profile tires alone aid in the handling department. Never mind a well put together suspension.

1) in rear did you drill the 2 holes over on axle to push swaybar over?
2) did you grease the rear endlinks?
3) did you torque them to 30 foot lbs when on ground?
4) springs are my design springs they are not DJM off shelf springs that other places have

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I'll double check the but am almost positive yes
4. Sorry, I think they came in a DJM box.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I went under today and went through everything thoroughly. What I found was rather interesting. And I'm surprised I didn't see this when I was looking around before.
The threaded reinforcement plates and bolts that secure the shock extender on, the drivers side was gone. Both, bolt and plate. Passenger side was very loose and almost to the point of disappearing as well. Which in turn loosened the mounting bolts to the extenders and made the shock extender swing during any kind of suspension movement. Basically riding on just coil, hence why its been so bouncy. The metal on metal I've been hearing has been the reinforcement plates (or what's left of them) rattling around going over bumps or on dirt roads.

I removed the one reinforcement plate and made a template and used some 1/4" plate to make replacement plates and through bolted them. I think DJM should've gone this route. I also think DJM should've used single bolts with tube spacers instead of one bolt per hole.
BellTechs shock extenders are a heck of a lot nicer, too bad they are not compatible to the DJM kit or actually too bad BellTech never came up with this link adapter kit.

The squeaking seems to be the drivers side rear upper coil isolator.

I only drove it home so cant really give any feedback yet. But the short distance back home, I noticed there was quite a difference. Especially with the noise and bounce.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sucks to hear 2dr, atleast you caught it before losing anything more than a little bit of hardware.
all my jackstands are under my other car so i brought it to a friends shop and we threw it on this morning. we were baffled by the djm offset sway bar links :lol: didn't realize till later after looking into it that they are supposed to move sway bar over all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
champion313