2 random issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right well my baby decided to throw a fit today....

It ran fine all day, it had been sitting maybe 20 minutes when i went out to start it. I turn the key and lost ALL power, I mean everything was dead. Checked all the battery connections, everything seems good. Then I went out about an hour later and now it turns over and runs for a second or two then dies, and I have power to everything but my headlights, tail lights, dash lights, and dome lights. All turn signals work, brakes work, but my fogs don't work.

Checked all my fuses etc everything is fine, could it be a relay of some sort? I'm just a little confuzzled because it seems to be two random and completely unrelated issues that occurred at the same time...

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
Check wiring from the key ignition as it may have degraded & the connections are literally hanging on by a thread.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The lights do not normally goes thru relays so either there is a sudden weak connection at it 50amp **** fuse or wiring for lighting or common grounding point for the same are really dirty.

Sometimes when you start a vehicle and all power disappears completely you can still have tight battery or other connections that are completely dead but give them a twist to etch the terminal surface and suddenly they come to life again.

The lighting circuits are from battery to fuses to light switch(not ignition with the maybe the exception of factory fog--but still needs headlights active) to lights thru wiring but no relays unless modifications were made.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allright well Ive checked all the electrical connections under the dash, in the steering column etc. All of it looks fine (but there may be something there I can't see...) I did however notice that the security light turns (steady not flashing) on whenever I put the key in, and it never goes off...

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had to replace the battery in my wifes montana ,it was internally shorting at the negative post .

It was acting funky for a few days then wouldn't crank,but all the lights worked,I determined it was the battery after attempting to crank the neg cable end was crazy hot.

Thanks to Oreilly's pro rated warranty it only cost me $39

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
SECURITY Indicator Always ON or Flashing

SECURITY Indicator Always On Or Flashing

SECURITY Indicator Always On Or Flashing (Part 1 Of 2)

SECURITY Indicator Always On Or Flashing (Part 2 Of 2)

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The Security Indicator Always On or Flashing check is designed to find out the reason the Security indicator is staying on or flashing. However, the Theft Deterrent System Diagnostic System Check must always be the starting point for all PASSLOCK system troubleshooting.

The Diagnostics in this table are designed to troubleshoot non DTC troubles. For example Battery power, Ignition 1 input, and shorted or open SECURITY indicator circuit.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the numbers in the diagnostic table.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the numbers in the diagnostic table.

working on it...

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

3. This step will determine if the EVO/PASSLOCK module or the harness is causing the Security Indicator to stay on.

4. This step determines if there is a short to ground in CKT 749.

6. This step tests for an open in the class 2 line between PASSLOCK terminal B4 and Splice S280.

9. This step verifies if the security fuse randomly opened

10. This step tests for a short to ground in CKT 1740.

12. This step tests for Ignition voltage at B3.

14. This step tests for battery input to the EVO/PASSLOCK module.

Done.

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap! You're so freakin helpful dude it isn't even funny, I'm currently in the process of attempting this. It looks like I'm gonna need some body diagnostics...

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my brothers 97 burban did that and it was the fuse for the gauge cluster

i know you said you checked all the fuses but its worth a shot to look again, lol

this was the exact problem we had though

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can never have to much tech stuff:)

That my friend is quite true.

Well I've tried everything and still no luck. It looks like I'm gonna need a new harness... :emotions122: I finally caved in and just got her towed to my local stealership. (Don't worry I have a few connections there, no way I'm letting my savings get ass *****)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts