1999 GMC Yukon Air suspension / rear Trailer auto leveler problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrSpicy

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry if this topic has been discussed somewhere else on here, I did some searching around but couldn't find quite what I needed.

So here's the problem- I have a 99 Yukon which has the what I believe its called auto ride? air leveling suspension to level out the rear when you hook up a trailer and I think that I have leak in the system or something is wrong with it. The compressor seems to run constantly and is especially loud and runs non-stop when towing a trailer.

I tried to spray some soapy water around down there but didn't come up with anything and still wasn't quite sure where to be spraying. I can fix just about anything on my baby my self but I have never dealt with any kind of system like this and am very unfamiliar.

So my question to you guys is can anyone provide me with some info on where to start, what I should be looking at replacing, and how to go about repairing or replacing to get this taken care of.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

OP
OP
M

MrSpicy

Reaction score
Well I am seriously a ****-****. I just figured out why I couldn't determine where this "leak" was coming from. Turns out I don't have one! Why the noise seemed to get worse when I hooked up a trailer is beyond me...maybe it was all in my head.

Anyways.. the noise I've been hearing this whole time was my FUEL PUMP! The damn thing has been noisy as hell since I bought her. Noisy enough that I thought it was the compressor for the past 6 months.

Its noisy enough that I'm guessing I should probably replace it and its only a matter of time till it goes right?

Looking online there seems to be two types of pumps one with "Tag Code: GFU-Without Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) Filter" and the other "With Tag Code: GFV-With Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) Filter"

Anyone know how to tell which one I need without dropping the tank?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
always get an rfi filtered one but you are the first to mention there is a choice. have not seen that option before. link to said choice?

OP
OP
M

MrSpicy

Reaction score
Here it is at Autozone although I think there's just says GFU or GFV
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...?filterByKeyWord=fuel+pump+&fromString=search

and at ORiley this is where it mentions rfi

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...ump&year=1999&make=GMC&model=Yukon&vi=1438474

Also see the same at Rock auto.

I think Im gonna go with the Spectra of Amazon its only $92 any thoughts on this one seems decent enough. Heres the link to that-

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...108992&sr=8-2&keywords=99+gmc+yukon+fuel+pump

OP
OP
M

MrSpicy

Reaction score
Cool just placed the order. I just replaced the fuel filter a few months ago. Is it necessary to do it again when you change the pump or is dose that just happen to be a good time to change it?

OP
OP
M

MrSpicy

Reaction score
Gonna change out the pump this weekend- any tips or things I should know before I do it? That is other than make sure and run her to near empty.

OP
OP
M

MrSpicy

Reaction score
well did it today took way way longer than it should have. Ended up having a ton of crap at the bottom of the tank so me and my brother had to come up with some creative methods of removing it. Basically turning the tank upside down and tipping it back and forth to get all the gas to slosh out and gas splashing everywhere then wiping what pieces were left out with a towel. Aside from that the quick connects from the fuel line were a ***** as well. Otherwise pretty strait forward.

Started her up and all seems to be good. Only had a gallon of gas sitting around the garage for my mower so well wait till tomorrow when I filler up to see how everything truly turned out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz