1998 tahoe LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2drhoeon4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have been toying with this idea for a long time now. I have decided. I am swapping out my vortec for and LS1 or LS6. I am selling my old stuff so if anyone wants any goodies hit me up... I have been generating a list of parts, but I am having trouble getting a clear cut list of what is needed.

I have,
Crank Spacer
Motor mounts
SS fuel lines
Water temp sender
Upper rad hose
3 wire coolant sensor
1 wire oil pressure sending unit

Questions..
Do I use any of my vortec motor harness or do I use all LS harness?

Will my factory fuel pump supply enough fuel for an LS. bolt on mods and maybe a small cam?

will my auto trans bolt up or do i need a newer trans from an ls vehicle?

I want to ditch the 4wd and go 2wd. can i replace the output shaft on my tranny or do i need a 2wd trans?

if i swap output shafts do i need a new driveshaft?

i plan to do away with evap and egr. I want to keep Power steering and AC. Can I use all of my Vortec AC stuff with an LS compressor?

Do I need to do a top mount compressor as I know the LS motors have it on bottom.

any help or links to good articles would be great!!!

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-truck-conversions/9535-obs-lsx-conversion.html

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-truck-conversions/3463-part-numbers-needed-ls1-swap.html

Also you can easily use your vortech wire harness by adding a few wires and reppining it for a 0411 ecm, here http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46472&p=517395#post517395 Lextech is very helpfull and has all the info if asked.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Ok I have been toying with this idea for a long time now. I have decided. I am swapping out my vortec for and LS1 or LS6. I am selling my old stuff so if anyone wants any goodies hit me up... I have been generating a list of parts, but I am having trouble getting a clear cut list of what is needed.

I have,
Crank Spacer
Motor mounts
SS fuel lines
Water temp sender
Upper rad hose
3 wire coolant sensor
1 wire oil pressure sending unit

Questions..
Do I use any of my vortec motor harness or do I use all LS harness?

Will my factory fuel pump supply enough fuel for an LS. bolt on mods and maybe a small cam?

will my auto trans bolt up or do i need a newer trans from an ls vehicle?

I want to ditch the 4wd and go 2wd. can i replace the output shaft on my tranny or do i need a 2wd trans?

if i swap output shafts do i need a new driveshaft?

i plan to do away with evap and egr. I want to keep Power steering and AC. Can I use all of my Vortec AC stuff with an LS compressor?

Do I need to do a top mount compressor as I know the LS motors have it on bottom.

any help or links to good articles would be great!!!

Vortec Fuel pump will be fine (unless your going turbo or supercharged)

Lextech (LS1truck forum member)(and some others) have a kit to mount your A/C comp. in the stock locale (high mount drivers side)

OP
OP

2drhoeon4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info TRIPPER!!! saves me some money!! I still need an LSX ecu right?

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

I will take your 4WD remnants, what's your locale?

I am in birmingham alabama

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would be just easier to the use the wiring harness and the ECM from the engine you will be using. To bad your in bama, I have an extra 2wd 4L60E and driveline for a suburban, you would just to cut it down. The drive line is huge in diameter compared to the stock unit, it's also aluminum. You can change your output shaft and tail shaft housing to a 2wd and re-use your trans if you want. Our you can find a 00-up 2wd and rebuild it to have ready for the swap.

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info TRIPPER!!! saves me some money!! I still need an LSX ecu right?

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

I am in birmingham alabama

Yea you need a 0411 ecu...If your serious contact Lextech over at LS1truck forum...Read the swap info over and then decide which method will work best for your conversion. If you get a Gen III engine the 0411 ecu is easiest swap ,If you get a Gen IV (58 tooth reluctor) you will need the matching ecu and harness.

OP
OP

2drhoeon4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys!! I plan on reusing my trans since it was rebuild 1k miles ago. I am planning on removing the output shaft and using a 2wd unit, but will i need a custom driveshaft or will the stock 4wd unit work? Or will i need a 2wd driveshaft?

Engine I am searching for is a 98-00 camaro, transam, corvette LS1. I definitely want a 5.7L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia