1998 Tahoe 5.7 Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gc_mountainman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy,

Not sure how many old Hoe's are doing the long drive this summer. I recently returned from a cross-Canada family roadtrip and logged 19, 745.2 km's in 56 days. Just got the numbers crunched for the fuel. 2703.064 litre's of fuel used. Which works out to 20.6 miles per gallon. Not bad for an old Hoe. Only mechanical challenges was replacing the starter while in Nova Scotia and then the fuel pump when in BC. Only had the Hoe since February and now I have two less jobs to do, LOL. Started our trip with over 252, 000 km's on the Hoe. I had a look at the numbers for a 2012 4x4 Hoe and the mileage is not that much better; 14.4 litre per 100 km's city and 9.5 litres per 100 km's highway. 20.6 miles per gallon converts to 13.7 litres per 100 km, and that is the grand total of highway, city and the fuel spilt on the ground changing the fuel pump.

So, how did your Hoe do this summer??

Cheers,

Mountainman.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
My math came up with 17.2 mpg. You probably converted to imperial gallons instead of US gallons. I calculated 714 gallons into 12,269 miles.

Still good mileage for a 15 year old SUV with a 50 year old motor. :D

Last edited:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate these threads, no offense OP. If I ever saw 12 I'd be happy, scary when my tahoe gets .5mpg average better than the burban

OP
OP
gc_mountainman

gc_mountainman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Folks.

I guess my old Hoe is still doing okay. LOL.

Mountainman.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

I hate these threads, no offense OP. If I ever saw 12 I'd be happy, scary when my tahoe gets .5mpg average better than the burban

Bowtie,

By the looks of your Hoe, your are not logged a whole bunch of highway miles. Your rig looks like it would be happiest on the backroads crawling over "stuff". In which case, 12 mpg would be fine. I am going to guess you are not planning to drive across the continent in the near future, but if you did no hazard on the road would be an obstacle.

Just saying.....

Mountainman.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Folks.

I guess my old Hoe is still doing okay. LOL.

Mountainman.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Bowtie,

By the looks of your Hoe, your are not logged a whole bunch of highway miles. Your rig looks like it would be happiest on the backroads crawling over "stuff". In which case, 12 mpg would be fine. I am going to guess you are not planning to drive across the continent in the near future, but if you did no hazard on the road would be an obstacle.

Just saying.....

Mountainman.

i agree with bowtie i never understood how any of you get anything better than 15 mpg EVEN HWY, my 2005 dodge ram single cab 5.7 hemi (newer technology ) and 1000 pounds lighter only gets about 15.3 on a 500 mile hwy drive , my yukon ? dont get me started even on stock tires it only gets 12 or 13 now with the new 35s im probally getting 10....downhill

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to get 14, bone stock.

Now in the tahoe it's around 11-11.5 highway or city, the burban is like 10 city, 11.5 highway. Both trucks are a far cry from stock too

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
How about if possible when posting your mileage you post last know fuel pressure if possible. I have thoughts in my mind about there coexistence.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
My eplorer normally gets 15 and on my trip it made 21mpg... The hoe id say gets 13? Maybe more because i highway drive it more than street drive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo