1998 Tahoe 4wd Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nacaloc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased a Tahoe that sat for a year after reverse stopped working from my friend. I want to save it from being junked as the engine and suspension are in great shape and body is good overall. I am trying to figure out if it needs a transmission rebuild or there is another culprit for the issues.

-when being driven and only when accelerating there is a loud whining noise, when coasting there is no noise.

-reverse does not engage

-forward gears sometimes do not engage

-a clunking noise can occasionally be heard that sounds like 4wd engaging even though I am not trying to.

does anyone have any advise before I tear into the transmission?

more background - 1998 tahoe, 143k miles 4wd

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things certainly don't sound good. I'm no expert though. I would check the basics. Check the fluid level and color. I would then call a few shops in your area and talk with an expert. I'm fairly distrusting of most transmission shops in my area, so finding one you can trust can be a challenge. I lost 2nd, 4th and reverse after a crazy hard 1-2 upshift after stomping on it to get thru a yellow light. I called the shop that built my transmission. They accurately diagnosed a broken reaction sun shell over the phone. I had a local shop do the repair after removing the transmission myself. If you feel like turning a wrench, you can drop the transmission pan to check for shavings. If you want to see the rebuild process, check out transmission bench on youtube. Good luck. Keep us posted on what you find.

OP
OP
N

nacaloc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you - I started it after sitting for a week and I have some forward gears, still no reverse. Fluid level is good and seems clear...does not smell like ATF it that makes sense, usually has a stronger odor. I plan on dropping the pan when I clear my garage out and ill update.

Things certainly don't sound good. I'm no expert though. I would check the basics. Check the fluid level and color. I would then call a few shops in your area and talk with an expert. I'm fairly distrusting of most transmission shops in my area, so finding one you can trust can be a challenge. I lost 2nd, 4th and reverse after a crazy hard 1-2 upshift after stomping on it to get thru a yellow light. I called the shop that built my transmission. They accurately diagnosed a broken reaction sun shell over the phone. I had a local shop do the repair after removing the transmission myself. If you feel like turning a wrench, you can drop the transmission pan to check for shavings. If you want to see the rebuild process, check out transmission bench on youtube. Good luck. Keep us posted on what you find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick