1998 HOE : AC Evaporator change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikel

Reaction score
Anyone done this before? What is the best way to get this little bastard out?

Thanks,

OP
OP
N

nikel

Reaction score
This is what I am thinking, however, my father in law who is a mechanic for fedex says he found info that it can come out through the firewall. I have not had a chance to look yet; still at work.

The job was estimated to be over $1K, so I am thinking the dash coming out is a major PIA.

OP
OP
N

nikel

Reaction score
In the process of this now. The dash does have to come out. Two tricks:

1. Follow the metal support rail on the lower dash, and unbolt that.
2. The 4 bolts that hold the internal steering column must come off, and the column pulled free. You can let the steering wheel rest on the seat.

You do not have to remove the gauges or the stereo... though I did cause I am pretty sure they would get scratched.

The dash does not need to come completely out, just swing it out into the passenger seat.

For the Air box (AC) most of the damn bolts to free it are in the engine well. The first two are on the firewall just behing the engine (distributor). Might be a total of 6-8, plus one on the inside above and to the left of the blower motor (on top of the air box).

I will follow up when I am further along; for anyone else that tackles this. I can see why the AC place wanted 1000.00 plus. It is kind of a pain in the ass, but not enough for me to pay someone to do it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obs_teezy