1998 2 Door LT Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My project continues to progress. I have ordered all the big suspension parts, brake parts and motor stuff.

For the motor, I went with a new L31-R with the 4 bolt main new from GM and the cam from this motor: https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/sp350-357-base. I got the Alex's parts #120 springs and retainers. I am doing the BBK performance throttle body with ebay shorty SS headers and a Jet performance MAF sensor. MSD coil and the rest basically stock. I am thinking with a good tune this has got to put me between 375-400hp. If anyone sees anything wrong with this approach I would like to hear about it please.

For brakes I did the powerstop Z36 calipers and rotors from Summit and the Little Shop conversion kit in the rear with the D126 calipers (because the Wilwood dual piston calipers don't have E brake and I figured I wouldn't pass inspection). I am doing the hydroboost conversion with the unit from a 1999 1-ton and am thowing in a new PS pump with the hydroboost connections.

For suspension I bagged the 4 link and just got new leafs in back and Bilstein 4600's all around also got a 1" lift shackle set in back. Mech says I can raise front 1" using torsion bars but if anyone has suggestions on how to do raise the front 2" easily I could use it.

Also new urethane bushings everywhere as well as new front axles and hubs and I threw in a steering stabilizer. And rear bearings and seals in rear.

I also picked up replica 10-hole 17" wheels such as those on a mid-2000's Silverado and Firestone Destination A/T's in 265/70/17.

That's mostly it for now. Starting on interior which I had no idea would be such a big job. I found a place where they sell the headliner material from my wife's 2015 suburban that I am going to use and got some really nice light grey (think it's called titanium) front seats from a 2008ish Silverado so now the interior is turning into a custom job around that. I found a number of places that will make the full carpet set in like a zillion colors and in a much better quality of carpet than OEM so there are lots of options.

I have spec'ed all of the exterior replacement trim parts, mostly from LMC, and there are a lot of parts.

Having a lot of fun. Will post pics of the work in process as it will be gearing up next week.

Trans and transfer box next after this work. Part will start early December.

OP
OP
T

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I thought I would post an update as I have reached a major mile stone. I head to the body shop tomorrow and paint and trim begins.

So far this is what I have done:

-New L31R with a ZZ4 cam, Alex's springs and retainer set, BBK large throttle body, jet MAF, and some ebay stainless shorty headers with an EGR delete.

-Nicely (re)built 4L60E and transfer case with case saver, and a new 4WD selector switch.

-ebay urethane full front end kit, Bilstein 4600's, new reaf leafs with 1" lift shackles, 1" key crank, new front half shafts, new bearings and seals all around and 17" 10 hole (2005ish Silverado style) chrome wheels. Tire size is 265/70R/17.

-Little shop rear disk kit, power stop front calipers and slotted rotors, and a used GMT800 hydroboost and reman master. I was lucky to get the pedal out of a 1999 2500 Suburban with hydro brakes which was THE BIGGEST PIA to pull out.

A little more on the brakes. This was a PIA to figure out all of the parts, but the brakes are unbelievable. I never knew an American truck could have BMW brakes, but that's what I've got here. They are fantastic.

-High flow cats and a 2-in 2-out Magnaflow XL with duals out the sides in all stainless. The single muffler gives the crossover effect that everyone says these motors need. Sounds great too.

Most everything under the hood and attached to the motor is new.

Next will be replacing the trim (all of it) while the repaint happens. And on the inside I have lots of new trim bits, new carpet, the headliner material from a 2015-16 Suburban or GMC Denali and I have seats from a 2010 Suburban that can be put on the original folding seat tracks with some mods.

I had the instrument cluster partially redone but that didn't go well. The ebay LEDs basically don't light up, the gas gauge (motor was replaced) doesn't work and the water temp no longer works. Will be headed back there.

The motor runs really bad with the stock tune and the trans has no idea when to shift. That will be next after repaint and before interior.

More to follow and I will post some pics as a separate post.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOUR QUOTE.
The motor runs really bad with the stock tune and the trans has no idea when to shift.

Brenner, I have read your endeavor from the start, and I have no idea how frustrated you must be, I know how I would feel. Sometimes we are given suggestions by others, as well as reading, and what may look/sound good on paper sometimes just don't work after a big expense. I know my opinion probably won't set well with some, but it is what it is. It's like cutting a piece of lumber, measure twice, cut once. JMHO and good luck .

David g.............:2cents:

4myfreedom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the truck finally a couple days ago. Here are some pictures. It looked a lot better after I got it washed but I forgot to take pictures afterward.

It's amazing what the sun can do to stuff. The indigo blue paint (what's left of it) has turned a medium blue in the Arizona desert. The good news is that the underneath of the truck pretty much looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.

I found a guy right next to the body shop I intend to use that I am hopeful is going to handle the mechanical side of things. He has a '96 silverado as his family truck for towing on the weekends and has a good knowledge of Chevy so I think it is going to work out well.

She broke down on me on the first voyage, and the mechanic thinks it's the fuel pump. Was also leaking oil like a sieve and he said someone took blue silicone to the bottom of the timing chain cover in a last ditch effort.

Next week will going over things completely. The engine is super clean as is the oil inside it. Despite 188K miles, I am thinking of keeping the original motor in it for now.

Seats are the color known as "neutral" and I think will be hard to match with new seats.

I am kind of obsessing over the seats because I really want to replace the front seats with modern GM truck seats. Looks like they will need to be mounted to the old tracks. If anyone knows of a good thread on here where this job has been done it would be a help. Also if anyone knows of a direct bolt in for the rear seats that would help too.

Will post more as we get into all of the stuff that doesn't work (which is a lot).nice my twin bro just joined the club1a34ca33fde1d6a31650acc83697ac43.jpg

View attachment 184269 View attachment 184270 View attachment 184271 View attachment 184272

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4myfreedom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I thought I would post an update as I have reached a major mile stone. I head to the body shop tomorrow and paint and trim begins.

So far this is what I have done:

-New L31R with a ZZ4 cam, Alex's springs and retainer set, BBK large throttle body, jet MAF, and some ebay stainless shorty headers with an EGR delete.

-Nicely (re)built 4L60E and transfer case with case saver, and a new 4WD selector switch.

-ebay urethane full front end kit, Bilstein 4600's, new reaf leafs with 1" lift shackles, 1" key crank, new front half shafts, new bearings and seals all around and 17" 10 hole (2005ish Silverado style) chrome wheels. Tire size is 265/70R/17.

-Little shop rear disk kit, power stop front calipers and slotted rotors, and a used GMT800 hydroboost and reman master. I was lucky to get the pedal out of a 1999 2500 Suburban with hydro brakes which was THE BIGGEST PIA to pull out.

A little more on the brakes. This was a PIA to figure out all of the parts, but the brakes are unbelievable. I never knew an American truck could have BMW brakes, but that's what I've got here. They are fantastic.

-High flow cats and a 2-in 2-out Magnaflow XL with duals out the sides in all stainless. The single muffler gives the crossover effect that everyone says these motors need. Sounds great too.

Most everything under the hood and attached to the motor is new.

Next will be replacing the trim (all of it) while the repaint happens. And on the inside I have lots of new trim bits, new carpet, the headliner material from a 2015-16 Suburban or GMC Denali and I have seats from a 2010 Suburban that can be put on the original folding seat tracks with some mods.

I had the instrument cluster partially redone but that didn't go well. The ebay LEDs basically don't light up, the gas gauge (motor was replaced) doesn't work and the water temp no longer works. Will be headed back there.

The motor runs really bad with the stock tune and the trans has no idea when to shift. That will be next after repaint and before interior.

More to follow and I will post some pics as a separate post.
Need before pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA