1997 Tahoe Sport/Z71 Value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
That's a $3,000 truck down here, but Texas is a very different market from Colorado.

OP
OP
RicanGM

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of miles for the money.

That's what I was thinking, I talked to the seller about how flexible he is on the price, he said the truck with that kind of features are hard to find. Am mainly concerned with the miles.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most sellers don't negotiate price over the phone if you haven't seen the vehicle. When I was selling a truck on craigslist, I would get several people asking what is the lowest I would take when they hadn't even seen the truck. I always asked them why I would negotiate against myself? If you're interested, come take a look at it and make me an offer. It helped to weed out the tire kickers.

Being twenty years old, though, 180k is below average mileage. I would think that the intake gaskets would have been done already. Did he say or give a maintenance history?

If he had taken better pictures and written a more descriptive ad, I bet he would have sold it by now and could've listed it for more money.

Good luck, hope it works out. It seems to be a fair price if it checks out mechanically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RicanGM

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being twenty years old, though, 180k is below average mileage. I would think that the intake gaskets would have been done already. Did he say or give a maintenance history?

Good luck, hope it works out. It seems to be a fair price if it checks out mechanically.

Thank you east302 for your input.

I talked to the seller and he mentioned brakes front/rear couple years ago, fuel pump few years ago, regular maintenance as need it, nothing else.

While researching on this truck I found out about the intake gasket failure, how common is that? At what mileage usually happens? Is it imminent that's going to happen ?

I drive a 1999 Sierra 5.7 K2500 Crew Cab with 125,000. I have it for 13 years and never had any problems with the intake gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 1998 350 that started leaking at 40k miles, and another one that held out until 130k so it's probably hit or miss.

I'd be surprised if it hasn't started leaking by now, but it can be hard to see given the location. Check the oil for contamination (I wouldn't buy it if it was that bad) but otherwise just look for dampness along the block and intake seam. The replacement isn't bad, just takes time. A shop would probably charge $800 or so to do it.

Ask the seller if he's been having to add coolant to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RicanGM

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also,

Like I said in the earlier post, I drive the 1999 K2500 crew cab, in the 13 years of ownership I only had to put a
fuel pump, couple batteries, an alternator, brakes front and rear.

Other than the basic checks, engine, tranny, tcase, what other areas you guys recommend to check?

I just learned about the fuel system on this trucks, SFI, the spider fuel system I was not familiar with that kind of fuel delivery system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645