180K miles - do O2 sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dictum

Reaction score
Have 2 GMC Yukon Denalis.. both have same mileage, 180K.

One is a 2007, the other 2013 XL.

The 2007 one recently spat out a O2 sensor code, on one sensor. Got it replaced, code cleared. But this raises the question, should I replace the other O2 sensor which never threw a code.

And on the 2013, no codes but I am having a guy rebuild my front end and that would be the time to do both O2 sensors, because I heard that after 100K they get "lazy". The 2013 is a bit sluggish from stop lights but has no issues at higher speeds. I wonder if lazy O2 are the reason. The 6.2L motor has only 40K on it so it's doubtful it's something engine-related.

I know that sensors can work intermittently / semi-functionally without throwing a code.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 4 (O2 sensors)?
So long as the front O2 sensors behave properly, and never throw any 'rich' trouble codes, then the rears have likely spent their entire lives reporting 'lean' / BELOW 0.45 Volts.
IFF the rear O2 sensors have spent their entire service lives 'lean', it'd be acceptable to leave the rears be.

That said, some find it more convenient to replace all four while they're down there.
In that case, I'd save the rears just in case.

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
At around 128k is when I got a p015d code so I replaced the sensor and a month later exactly on Mother’s Day I got another code for the opposite bank both upstream. So I came to the conclusion I’m replacing the other 2 while I’m at it.

That would be your best bet also is to replace all at the same time. You wouldn’t even need to put it on jack stands except for upstream bank 2

The hardest one to get to would be the upstream on bank 2. It’s easier to take off the tire and the wheel well liner for sufficient room.

Bank 1 sensor 1 I cut the wire off and used a 22mm long wrench and came out perfect after spraying on pb blaster.

The upstream bank 1 sensor is hidden above the driveshaft under the driver side and sensor 2 is right there in plain sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia