'17 Yukon Denali w/65k miles.. Thinking of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it will be hard for me to part with it... I've e-fanned it, tuned it slightly. Has newer Michelins on it, 151,000 miles on the Saab. 65k on the Yukon. I also moderate one of the 9-7x FB fan pages, lol. The only reason I am selling it is because I have 8 vehicles currently :superhack:
Where you live at.. I didnt want to get rid of the 9-7x, but had to engine started blowing a lot of smoke out the tail pipe!

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Welcome from KY! I think there are many variables to consider here. How much are you purchasing the Yukon for? Is it from a GM dealership? How would you feel if a $6-$8k repair bill was to unexpectedly fall into your lap? Would you still feel like it was a good buy?

I ask because of my journey, which I'll map out as short and sweet as I can...

May 2023 - Purchased 2015 Suburban w/184k miles for $17,500
June 2023 - Various repairs done at home (liftgate actuators, drivers door lock switch, shark-fin antenna, thermostat, water pump) totaling around $400.
Late June 2023 - Significant lifter tick present after oil change (suspecting the previous owner used all the tricks to quiet this before trading to the dealer I purchased from)
Early July 2023 - Transmission starts showing signs of significant issues (shift delay, extensive TC shuttering, etc)
July 2023 - Engine completely dies. Cylinder 5 lifter totally collapses

My Suburban is now awaiting an engine and transmission, looking to spend in the neighborhood of $10k when all is said and done.

I say all that to say this....

As much as I hate to spend this money, I still feel like I got a relatively good deal considering that I purchased it at (what I felt like) was such a low price compared to what else was and is on the market.

I would AT A MINIMUM, seek a GM factory extended warranty. If GM warranty is not available, go and speak to your local GM service manager and ask what 3rd party warranty companies that they have the best luck with, and purchase one from them. When I bought my Suburban, it didn't really qualify for any warranties that were worth me considering. Your scenario is much different considering the low(ish) mileage.

Common failures you may see....

1. Engine failure due to AFM/DOD systems
2. Trans failures due to a poorly designed trans that runs hotter than it should at all times
3. Compass/navigation failure due to shark fin antenna taking in water and shorting out
4. Rear liftgate shocks failing due to the left side shock (which houses the actuator) failing

If you made it this far...I hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you'd like!

OP
OP
T

Technologic80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from KY! I think there are many variables to consider here. How much are you purchasing the Yukon for? Is it from a GM dealership? How would you feel if a $6-$8k repair bill was to unexpectedly fall into your lap? Would you still feel like it was a good buy?

I ask because of my journey, which I'll map out as short and sweet as I can...

May 2023 - Purchased 2015 Suburban w/184k miles for $17,500
June 2023 - Various repairs done at home (liftgate actuators, drivers door lock switch, shark-fin antenna, thermostat, water pump) totaling around $400.
Late June 2023 - Significant lifter tick present after oil change (suspecting the previous owner used all the tricks to quiet this before trading to the dealer I purchased from)
Early July 2023 - Transmission starts showing signs of significant issues (shift delay, extensive TC shuttering, etc)
July 2023 - Engine completely dies. Cylinder 5 lifter totally collapses

My Suburban is now awaiting an engine and transmission, looking to spend in the neighborhood of $10k when all is said and done.

I say all that to say this....

As much as I hate to spend this money, I still feel like I got a relatively good deal considering that I purchased it at (what I felt like) was such a low price compared to what else was and is on the market.

I would AT A MINIMUM, seek a GM factory extended warranty. If GM warranty is not available, go and speak to your local GM service manager and ask what 3rd party warranty companies that they have the best luck with, and purchase one from them. When I bought my Suburban, it didn't really qualify for any warranties that were worth me considering. Your scenario is much different considering the low(ish) mileage.

Common failures you may see....

1. Engine failure due to AFM/DOD systems
2. Trans failures due to a poorly designed trans that runs hotter than it should at all times
3. Compass/navigation failure due to shark fin antenna taking in water and shorting out
4. Rear liftgate shocks failing due to the left side shock (which houses the actuator) failing

If you made it this far...I hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you'd like!

Wow, that is quite an experience... this particular Yukon has 65k miles, and the Dealer (in the GM network) is asking $36k.

I went the other day with a friend who has an exceptional eye for detail... it was then he pointed out to me several deficiencies that I hadn't noted before. More disturbing, when the sales (kid) guy came out, he acknowledged that they knew of the issue(s), which means, he wasn't honest with me the first 2 times I went to look at it and drive it. He told me everything was good. Nope. Running boards, both sides, inop. They aren't willing to fix them either, they offered removing them lol. I know they are a very common failure point, and I get that, its not being upfront when I discussed with him the truck not once, but twice. There were other issues, but its a moot point to go into them now, I've moved on.

Either way, Im passing on it. The DOD lifters dont scare me much, my current truck has AFM and I have 151,000 miles with no issues, although admittedly, I disabled it via tune.

Coupled with a poorly designed transmission cooling system, and frequent failures there too, Im thinking ((ducks under table)) maybe I should wait this generation out and get a 4Runner in the meantime. lol. Sorry to mention the dirty word here. But one day, Ill be back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10