10 speed transmission, worth waiting for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter991

Reaction score
to me i am not sure i would want a first year thing. I know its been around for a little bit in the partnership with Ford. What i have heard is the 10speed seems to hunt for gears on steep grades from a friend of mine who has it in the F150. With a transmission i want to have at least a 3 year "in production" track record. But thats just me. They aren't cheap to replace the ones in the old days.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still can't seem to figure out why ford and gm think that an SUV based on a half ton truck frame and chassis, needs a 10 speed transmission. For what? It's not going to pull anything that requires that big of a transmission weight wise. It seems to me, that transmission will spend a lot of time hunting for the right gear, which is not desired for a lot of reasons. I would think the 8 speed is probably the better option.

tonywush

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No transmission is perfect.

I learned fron exisiting Ford review that the 10spd will skip the gear when necessary: i.e 1-3-5-7-8.

IMO, if I can get a really decent deal on the 17" Denali/Escalade, I will go with 17".

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I hear, it's incredible in the new ZL1. Hopefully they don't screw it up like they did the 8 speed...

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
Thank you for all the input. Its sounding like the 10 speed might be more of a hinderance than a help. Im going to shop around and see the lowest pricing I can get on a '17. Cant wait for the old "let me talk to my manager" routine.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would personally want to wait until it's been a year in production on the Chevy/GMC/Escalade line of trucks before jumping into it. I'm sure overall it will be just fine but I think there may be some initial growing pains of the trucks not going into the correct gear for the current situation. Besides, waiting a year will give the various tuners (Diablo, Blackbear, etc.) time to get used to it as well. :)

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, the 6spd DSG in my Passat was a dream. Best trans I ever had in any vehicle, absolutely friggin amazing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645