10 speed transmission, worth waiting for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirth Gersen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems to me it will require internal components that are smaller, lighter, and flimsier. Not good for durability & reliability. I prefer to keep my vehicles for a very long time. Whatever miniscule fuel savings I get will likely get wiped out by expensive repair bills down the road.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still can't seem to figure out why ford and gm think that an SUV based on a half ton truck frame and chassis, needs a 10 speed transmission. For what? It's not going to pull anything that requires that big of a transmission weight wise. It seems to me, that transmission will spend a lot of time hunting for the right gear, which is not desired for a lot of reasons. I would think the 8 speed is probably the better option.
For fuel economy

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
The GMC Dealerships are useless when asking them about the 10 speed. They know 0 information and if they do they certainly are not sharing it. Simply stating "Yea well you might get 1 mpg difference at most but we really dont know any info".

I wish GMC would list out the benefits of the 10 speed already. I dont really want to get a 2017 if the car is going to be a year old in the next 3 months but if the 10 speed is going to be garbage than it is worth it.

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
I sent out an email to Jalopnik (automotive website for those who dont know) asking about the 10 speed and what information they had. This is the response I received:

"Going from a six-speed to a ten-speed is not likely to yield a massive fuel economy benefit. Look no further than the F-150 for proof of that (Ford and GM co-developed the 10-speed). The '17 model F-150 3.5L EcoBoost does manage about 1 MPG better than the '16, but that's also a product of engine tweaks, not just the added gears.

I drove a 10-speed Raptor recently, and I thought the transmission was decent, but a bit quirky to shift at times. "

Not a ton of new information but confirmation that the 10 speed isnt likely to increase MPG by a whole lot, maybe 1 mpg.

So now it comes down to preference and price. See what sort of offers GMC announces to try and move remaining 2017 BUT have a vehicle that is technically 1 year old already OR wait and get the 2018 but roll the dice with the reliability of the 10 speed transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505