09 Tahoe Oil Consumption issue solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowtiebug

Reaction score
I have made a few post about my 2009 Tahoe 5.3l using excessive amounts of oil along with reading several others with the same issue .

My Tahoe was using 3/4 to 1 quart every 800-1000 miles or regular everyday driving , So I recently had time to go speak with a old friend of mine that is a GM Master tech with 35 years Plus under his belt .

I explained the issue to him about oil consumption and he ask a few questions like.

1. does it misfire or get a check engine light ? my response was no , he says that pretty much rules out a piston or ring issue .

His next question was lets pull the Air hose off throttle body and look inside the intake , To my surprise it was soaked with oil .

He then proceeded to ask if I updated the valve cover on Drivers side with new style PVC system, my response was no and he said try it first it fixes 99% of oil consumption issues as the old style cover has the PVC port directly above a push rod and rocker arm and gets a constant spray of oil .

So we went to the parts department and I purchased the new style valve price with tax $92.33 part # 12642655 ( see photo's ) .

I went home and changed it out , which took about 15 minutes with my 1/4" air ratchet and a 10mm deep socket and swivel .

a few days later we took a 1075 mile trip and when we got home I checked the oil and to my surprise it was still slightly over the full mark were I placed it prior to the trip , since then I have made several other trips totaling around 2600-2700 miles and my oil is still full , my oil consumption has stopped completely with the new Valve Cover , I'm very pleased :roflbow:

I also use a Range module to prevent 4 cylinder mode , but it did nothing for oil consumption in my case as it wasn't due to pistons or rings , but I do love the Range module which gives me 2-3 mpg better fuel mileage and smoother drivability .

part number.jpg VC4.jpg VC5.jpg

Texastoad

Reaction score
Good info...I have the same year model and engine...wonder if I should just go ahead and do this change....I will watch level closely...have only had truck a month

OP
OP
B

Bowtiebug

Reaction score
I would at least pull the cover and see if it's been changed or not , the new cover comes with the gaskets and new bolts , very easy to change , there's 1 main coil connector , 5 bolts that hold coil pack bracket on and 4 bolts in cover .

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post.

People should realize one thing However....

That part is is YEAR SPECIFIC.

Years have different parts number for the cover.

GM P/N 12570427 for 2007 - *2008

GM P/N 12642655 for 2009 - *2011.

OP
OP
B

Bowtiebug

Reaction score
Great info ^^ goodinblack , my suggestion would be to have the parts department verify your vin number for proper parts ID and figment .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia