08 Tahoe 5.3L DOD/AFM lifter delete time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrcajunjoker

Reaction score
Well my 08 Tahoe 5.3 has 230k miles and started the traction control, stabilitrak, and CEL P0300 misfire. Cylinder 1 is misfiring. I've changed plug, wires and coil. There's no noise other than you can hear it misfire. Tried a compression tester and it doesn't have much compression. A buddy of mine is a mechanic and we're trying options before putting in non DOD or AFM lifters. So assuming that I'm about to do this... recommendations on cam or other parts to get some performance increase? It's my daily driver. TIA

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which engine does your 2008 have? I know you said 5.3, but which one?

Some folks change the oil pump when doing this and of course the timing chain. Some use an LM7 or LS3 or LS6 or the GM Performance 88958775 camshaft. In my 5.3, an LC9, the LM7 cam is smaller while the LS3 is a Gen III equivalent. I've read from folks who like the LS6 in trucks, it's slightly bigger than the GM cam.

As for me, I'd like more torque down low where I drive most of the time. I rarely hit 4,000 rpms and usually under 3,500 with 3.42 gears.

I read that a guy who does these every day has it down to 3 hours though most folks do it in an afternoon.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out. I have 173K on my '08 and wanna do the AFM delete with cam upgrade before I have problems. I've considered doing the work myself but may let a pro do it for less downtime and to get it tuned all in one shot. I'll likely be checking in with Futral or Wall 2 Wall.

OP
OP
M

mrcajunjoker

Reaction score
Ha, I'm in Baton Rouge so my buddy used to work at Thunder Racing and deals with both Futral and Wall 2 Wall.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out. I have 173K on my '08 and wanna do the AFM delete with cam upgrade before I have problems. I've considered doing the work myself but may let a pro do it for less downtime and to get it tuned all in one shot. I'll likely be checking in with Futral or Wall 2 Wall.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just disable it. That's what I did with my tuner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mrcajunjoker

Reaction score
It's a LY5 I think he said. The dealer changed the oil pump under warranty back around 100k miles. I have an oil pan leak, so my buddy thinks it's the gasket and since the pan comes down, to go ahead and change the timing set.

Tonight, he put air in the cylinder assuming air should come out of the exhaust, intake, or crankcase. It was coming out of the exhaust and he seemed like that was a good thing: that the cylinder was holding pressure.

I do IT work... FYI if I screw up typing something lol.

Which engine does your 2008 have? I know you said 5.3, but which one?

Some folks change the oil pump when doing this and of course the timing chain. Some use an LM7 or LS3 or LS6 or the GM Performance 88958775 camshaft. In my 5.3, an LC9, the LM7 cam is smaller while the LS3 is a Gen III equivalent. I've read from folks who like the LS6 in trucks, it's slightly bigger than the GM cam.

As for me, I'd like more torque down low where I drive most of the time. I rarely hit 4,000 rpms and usually under 3,500 with 3.42 gears.

I read that a guy who does these every day has it down to 3 hours though most folks do it in an afternoon.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be an option, but there is no compression in that cylinder... I mentioned that to my buddy whose response was, well if the cylinder was working properly...
The lifters go bad, replace the lifters and if that corrects it, disable the dod. Unless you want to do the upgrades.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LY5 is an iron block so I reckon you have 2WD. Did you compression test all cylinders and just have one bad one? A leak down test will tell you more.

I've been researching GM cams in my spare time and it seems to me that the LS3 camshaft (12623063) has the same specs as your LY5 and my LC9 (12625436) but the LS3 cam under than part number is a Gen IV 1 bolt cam and of course not made for AFM or VVT.

The LS2 camshaft (12593206) is a Gen IV 1 bolt cam and also does not have AFM or VVT. We can run VVT cams in our non VVT engines btw with no modifications.

The LS2 cam is 204-211 .525-.525 116 whereas our stock cams are 196-201 467-479 116

GM Performance markets a cam for the LC9 (88958775) 203-212 .526-525 117.5 but seems to be a Gen III 3-bolt camshaft. We can run them but need to change a couple of parts.

This is what I've been able to glean from multiple sources but since its the internet, the information is often contradictory, confusing or just plain wrong. I would double check those numbers before making a purchase.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, I'm in Baton Rouge so my buddy used to work at Thunder Racing and deals with both Futral and Wall 2 Wall.

I saw your location and that's why I'm really interested to see how yours works out and who does the work. For a tuner, I'd like for Mike to do mine if I can get ahold of him. I don't know if he still tunes for Thunder or what. W2W fixed my Z06 heads when a local shop (Adam's Automotive) damned-near destroyed them. I'm sure Futral has done quite a few AFM delete kits, so I'd feel comfortable dropping it off there and telling them to call me when it's done and tuned.

Why not just disable it. That's what I did with my tuner.

Sounds like he already has a mechanical failure and needs to fix it rather than just turn it off electronically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE