08 denali awd wont move, diff fluid on the driveway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Dswan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, that's your problem. There is supposed to be a keeper on that shaft keeping the flange in position right up against the side of the diff, but the pulling stress of the front level/lift may have put enough stress on it such that the keeper couldn't hold it in position any more. You probably have a damaged seal now as well, hence the leak. You need to get that stub shaft the rest of the way out, install a new oil seal, inspect the end of the stub shaft where the keeper sits and make sure it looks intact. You could also replace the front diff with a junkyard unit as long as you have the axle ratio from the code listed on the label in the glove box. If you post a picture of that label here, we can tell you what you need but I'm 99.99% sure you have a 3.42 ratio since it's a Denali. If you replace the diff, it needs to be an AWD unit from a Denali or Escalade unless you want to make some modifications to it. Not a hard job to swap it out but a cheap Harbor Fright transmission jack will make it easier.
Thanks I really appreciate it

OP
OP
D

Dswan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is 400 $ a good price front a salvage yard?
I've looked and this is the only one around that I can drive n pick up other wise shipping costs are outrageous...lol

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you lose any component of the drivetrain (either F or R diff or the TC), the AWD Denali won't move. Since you see and smell front diff fluid, my best guess is a broken pinion or ring gear up there. Can you get any photos?
What is it about the t case that the truck won’t move it something is open in the front diff?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BW4485 transfer case operates like an open differential, so if either axle is disconnected from the drivetrain, it will spin freely without providing forward motion.

More info here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/bw4485-rpo-nr3-info.126545/
Thanks! I thought it might be something like that, but I couldn't/ still don’t quite understand how something like a broken cv would have a different result than a front tire in the air which doesn’t (I didn’t think) result in nothing going to the rear even if traction control is off and no automatic wheel braking occurs. Definitely ready to do a manual swap, but still curious and want to wrap my head around this.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought it might be something like that, but I couldn't/ still don’t quite understand how something like a broken cv would have a different result than a front tire in the air which doesn’t (I didn’t think) result in nothing going to the rear even if traction control is off and no automatic wheel braking occurs. Definitely ready to do a manual swap, but still curious and want to wrap my head around this.

not really sure how to explain it. but in a rwd car with a open diff, if you spin one tire one way, the other side spins backward when it park. to technically if you lifted one tire off the ground, even in park you could roll the truck away.

the awd has that same rear diff but also a center diff and a front diff. any one of the tires is allowed to spin backwards, the other 3 can spin forward. it's because park lock is only inside the tranny. it isn't out the wheels.

I don't know if any of that makes sense. but youtube probably has an animated video of it all somewhere.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abs would apply brakes to stop the wheel in the air from spinning, and sending power to go to other wheels. applying the brakes to a wheel with no axle would still allow the front diff to spin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar