07 Tahoe rear diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldDirte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello all, newbie with first post. rear diff broke spider gears. researching the forum it seems there is barely any info on rebuilding the G80. seems most people are replacing the G80 with something different. searching around the forum I think I'm going to call Rons machining and Randys ring&pinion. any advice from anybody who's has attempted swap/upgraded would be appreciated. also any other brands that people are happy with would love to here what was used. 07 Tahoe is just our daily driver/road trip truck so I'm not looking for anything crazy just hoping to do this once. Thanks for any advice!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello all, newbie with first post. rear diff broke spider gears. researching the forum it seems there is barely any info on rebuilding the G80. seems most people are replacing the G80 with something different. searching around the forum I think I'm going to call Rons machining and Randys ring&pinion. any advice from anybody who's has attempted swap/upgraded would be appreciated. also any other brands that people are happy with would love to here what was used. 07 Tahoe is just our daily driver/road trip truck so I'm not looking for anything crazy just hoping to do this once. Thanks for any advice!!

Welcome to the forum Gabe. You can get a subscription to AllDataDIY if you want the procedure on how to do it yourself.

OP
OP
O

oldDirte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Gabe. You can get a subscription to AllDataDIY if you want the procedure on how to do it yourself.
Thanks. I have access to prodemand though, although I do like alldata better.

OP
OP
O

oldDirte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does prodemand explain the procedure? You can also purchase the service manual in pdf form from ebay.
yes its Mitchell on demand, which I believe was bought out by snap on now.

anybody know where to get a pinion depth tool that won't break the bank?

OP
OP
O

oldDirte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if I am using the same pinion and ring gear, then using the same pinion shim thickness should put me pretty close to the correct pinion depth right?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to remove the ring and pinion to change the spider gears right? What I mean is that the ring gear can stay on the carrier while the busted parts are replaced. I'd still want to measure everything and make sure they're meshing right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Instigator01