05 Tahoe Z71 transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe406

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe with the 4L60E. Normally everything works fine. The transmission doesn't seem to slip and the fluid looks okay. Recently though when I come to a stop light or stop sign and then get ready to take off the Tahoe does not move and the engine revs up and I hear a gear grinding sound. Once the engine revs back down I can push the accelerator again and the Tahoe moves like nothing ever happened. The first 2 times this happened I ignored it and thought I was hearing something. Now I am afraid to drive it very far. Any ideas?

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago my Tahoe Transmission started to jam-up as I slowed down for a stop sign at about 10-15 mph. I thought the driveshaft was the problem. I was afraid to drive it thinking it would happen at highway speeds. I dropped the Trans Pan and found some small roller bearings and other small metal pieces. With almost 295k on the truck and body rust getting worse every year I sold the Transfer Case saved a bunch of interior parts and sold it for parts.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe with the 4L60E. Normally everything works fine. The transmission doesn't seem to slip and the fluid looks okay. Recently though when I come to a stop light or stop sign and then get ready to take off the Tahoe does not move and the engine revs up and I hear a gear grinding sound. Once the engine revs back down I can push the accelerator again and the Tahoe moves like nothing ever happened. The first 2 times this happened I ignored it and thought I was hearing something. Now I am afraid to drive it very far. Any ideas?
She is burning up. Your fluid will be orange to brownish(Instead of the normal bright pink) in color and smell burnt. If the engine is revving up and you can hear grinding then it is SLIPPING. All that slipping is your 1st gear clutches and steel plates frying. They heat up and dish which causes the clutch pack to finally take some load from the engine and star moving you forward. Damage is already done. It will need a rebuild. I would NOT take it too far from home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe406

Joe406

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys... That isn't the news I wanted but the news I figured I would get. In the past I have always lost 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd and that is what I was expecting.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These Transmissions shift hundreds of thousands of times. Mine failed coasting up to a stop sign. It Happens.

OP
OP
Joe406

Joe406

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So does anyone have any experience with the "Monster in a box" kits? I thought about getting the kit with the 5 pinion planetary gears.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i guess it depends on what you do with the rig.
For my Silverado i took it to my transmission guy since with work i didnt have the time to work on it. And he said he doesnt even rebuild 60es anymore. For the time and parts he would have in one, he just installs a quality reman. And he must trust the supplier, he put a ridiculous long warranty on the thing. And with past dealing with him i trust his judgment on just putting in a reman. He built my th350 for racing and a couple e4ods behind powerstrokes in plow trucks, and they all have seen abuse. So if he doesnt mess with building these i probably wont ever do one myself again.

OP
OP
Joe406

Joe406

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have done TH350s and TH400s. Never a 4L60e though. Just not sure if I should order a factory rebuild or try to improve anything. This is just a family SUV and occasional off road for camping and hunting.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done TH350s and TH400s. Never a 4L60e though. Just not sure if I should order a factory rebuild or try to improve anything. This is just a family SUV and occasional off road for camping and hunting.
Since it looks like you intend on keeping the vehicle around and likely want the tranny to last I would just do the common upgrades which will more than handle your needs. Upgrade to the 5 pinion planetary, Corvette servo, Hi energy clutch kit, kevlar 2-4 band, Beast sunshell, all the valve body and separator plate updates, Always new/rebuilt torque converter. This recipe will more than handle your needs and most of the parts will cost as much or even less than oem type replacements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts