05 Tahoe overheated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pi898831

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 05 Tahoe with 187,000 miles. 5.3L V8. This past weekend my temp gauge started to rise. I checked the coolant and it was low. Added some coolant and it was fine. On monday I noticed a leak I thought was coming from the lower radiator hose so I replaced it. After I finished I realized the leak was coming from the weep hole on the water pump. "No big deal" I thought, I'll just keep it full of water and replace it on Saturday. Last night I pull into Kroger and I see steam (keep in mind I've been watching the temp gauge closely). I pop the hood and coolant is pouring out of the water pump. I leave the hood open to let it cool, go inside for 30 min. Fill the coolant tank back up even though it just starts running out. And drive home slowly (less than 1.5 miles)while watching the temp gauge. I turn the heat on high to try and pull the heat off the engine and cold air blows out. Temp guage never goes up, engine light comes on as I pull in my driveway. Pop the hood and let it cool overnight. This morning. It won't do anything. When I turn the key it sounds like the starter is bad or batt is dead but all my electronics work. Did I just fry my engine last night?

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you hit the key does it turn over at all? Does it just click when you hit the key? All electronics stay on the entire time you are trying to start it?

OP
OP
P

Pi898831

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you hit the key does it turn over at all? Does it just click when you hit the key? All electronics stay on the entire time you are trying to start it?

Currently just the click. And yes all electronics stay on.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that it would be a starter issue. I wonder if all that steam under the hood could have played a role in it failing?

Have you tried getting under it and tapping on it? I know my old truck did this same thing a while back and I took the starter apart and cleaned it and it worked just fine. The contact points inside were corroded and would not make a good connection to start.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, try putting some jumper cables to it if you haven't already. Might just not have enough juice to engage the starter.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can put a 1/2" breaker bar and 24mm socket on the crank pulley bolt and see if the engine turns over that way . Turn the engine clockwise looking at it from the front. ( It actually runs counterclockwise looking from the driver seat). Then if you see it turns over ok, you can diagnose why the starter isn't turning it over.

OP
OP
P

Pi898831

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can put a 1/2" breaker bar and 24mm socket on the crank pulley bolt and see if the engine turns over that way . Turn the engine clockwise looking at it from the front. ( It actually runs counterclockwise looking from the driver seat). Then if you see it turns over ok, you can diagnose why the starter isn't turning it over.

So when I turn the crank pulley bolt of it moves that basically means that my engine isn't seized correct? And if it doesn't move then I'm looking at a new engine.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when I turn the crank pulley bolt of it moves that basically means that my engine isn't seized correct? And if it doesn't move then I'm looking at a new engine.
That pretty much sums it up. Hopefully you can turn your engine over and get peace of mind.

OP
OP
P

Pi898831

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Crank pulley turned! So now I'll be checking out the battery and starter.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I didn't think your engine was seized but didn't want to say anything until you knew for sure. I feel your relief!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukrazy

Latest posts