04 Yukon XL Denali: Replacing "ride control" compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lynnbilodeau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guessing this has been discussed, but I am new to the board and could not find a thread on it.

Have confirmed that my ride control compressor is bad. Has power to it. Pulled it off and bench tested it. DOA.

Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with replacement compressors. OEM is pretty expensive.

Looks like the other choices are Dorman, Arnott and Suncore.

Anyone DIY one of those? If so, how was your experience?

Thanks in advance.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guessing this has been discussed, but I am new to the board and could not find a thread on it.

Have confirmed that my ride control compressor is bad. Has power to it. Pulled it off and bench tested it. DOA.

Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with replacement compressors. OEM is pretty expensive.

Looks like the other choices are Dorman, Arnott and Suncore.

Anyone DIY one of those? If so, how was your experience?

Thanks in advance.
Can’t speak to your generation of vehicle, but I’ve had good luck with Arnott and Dorman on the NNBS units.

I’d make sure you check the condition of the rear shocks since a common cause of failure is one of the shocks starts to leak and the compressor just burns itself up.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the dorman compressor on my Z55 equipped 2006 Yukon XL Denali. Replaced the compressor I believe in 2017 and it still works perfectly. Runs at the startup of each key cycle for about 5 ish seconds as its designed and hasn’t had a problem since. Many times I’ve heard dorman parts are hit or miss especially the replacement compressor unit’s for these suspension setups but mine hasn’t given me a single problem and I’ve put tons of miles on the truck since the replacement. I’ve heard the arnott rebuilt compressors are known to have an internal part failure after some time but that part is replaceable within the unit and it’s easy to replace. I can’t remember which part. But I also can’t speak to it since i have the dorman unit. I do have arnott Z55 replacement air assist shocks on my rig though, bought from another member here I think in 2018 virtually brand new, and through all the towing and road trips and miles the arnott shocks still work perfectly. So if you decide to replace the likely no good air assist shocks in your back end spend the money once on the arnott parts and be done with it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the pumps. I went the Arnott way a few years back on my 2007 and it failed shortly after a season or so. I went the Dorman route when they came out and that one lasted until I sold it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Dorman replacement compressor, and it has worked for over 2 years without any performance issues. The only issue that I have is that the Dorman compressor does not provide me with as much information as the OEM compressor does, when I hook up a Tech 2 to observe all of the working functions and display information for the compressor.

OP
OP
L

lynnbilodeau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Installed the compressor this morning. Started the vehicle and it ran for a few seconds, then shut off, which is what it should do.
Service Ride Control message is gone for now, but I really expect the rear shocks are leaking at least SOME, as they look original to the vehicle. Will wait and see.

Anyone use the Arnot reman shocks. Looks like the cheapest alternative. A little bummed that they went from lifetime warranty (as of July 1) to a two year warranty. Arnotts are $265.99 each with a $50 core + shipping at RockAuto.
Suncore offers these for a little bit less with lifetime warranty, but don't know that the ride quality will be as good.

Alternatives?

OP
OP
L

lynnbilodeau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also found these: Looks too good to be true at less than $100 a pair shipped. Any personal experience?

NEVER MIND. Just saw that these are passive.

Last edited:

Devlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did mine last weekend. Did that Arnott. Works great. Took 15 minutes to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo