04 Tahoe engine help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbh1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my 04 Tahoe may have blown her engine. I found another 5.3L however it belonged to a 04 Yukon. Can that engine fit into the engine compartment of my Tahoe?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 04 Tahoe may have blown her engine. I found another 5.3L however it belonged to a 04 Yukon. Can that engine fit into the engine compartment of my Tahoe?

The only variance you'll need to consider is FlexFuel capability between your Tahoe and that Yukon engine. If there's a discrepancy, just put your existing intake manifold on the replacement engine.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any Gen 3 5.3L will work BUT....
L59 5.3L Vin Z Has special fuel injectors that can deal with the corrosiveness of E85 (Flex Fuel Engine)
LM7 5.3L Vin T has Fuel injectors that are made for only regular unlead gas or higher grade.
Vin Z 9.9:1 and Vin T 9.49:1 Compression Ratios. Not really enough to make a difference for an engine swap.
If your engine is a vin z, just swap your intake and fuel rail over to the other engine if it is a vin T.

These engines can be found in every GM 1/2ton C(2wd) and K(4wd) chassis vehicles which includes the Silverado, Sierra, Avalanche, Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, Suburban. GM vans Express and Savana. Even the Isuzu Ascender has a 5.3L.
You do have to be careful as you start getting up into the newer years because there are plenty of 5.3L variations including aluminum block, AFM (active fuel management), DOD (Displacement on Demand) and it can open up a can of worms for you trying to swap one of those messes in there but those engines are coded different (LM4 and L33) and wont have a VIN Z or T. Engine VIN is the 8th digit of the VIN#. Vin Z engine was made 2002-2007 and the VIN T has been around a bit longer 1999-2007. 2008 Things change to Gen 4 engines and the VIN Z and T no longer exist in production as the L59 or LM7 engine code.
Externally a 5.3L is a 5.3L. All the same external dimesions. As a matter of fact, the 4.8, 5.3, 5.7L (LS1) and 6.0L all the same external dimensions for Gen 3 engines.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vin Z 9.9:1 and Vin T 9.49:1 Compression Ratios. Not really enough to make a difference for an engine swap.
Vin B is the 9.9:1 compression engine (L33)
Vin T and Z are both 9.5ish to 1. The only PHYSICAL difference between the T (LM7) and Z (L59) are the injectors and fuel systems ( pumps regulators oring etc).
The actual engine itself is the same.
I currently own a B and a Z, and have worked on several Ts.
So since the replacement is sourced from an suv as long as it is a 5.3 the engine will be the same. If there is a question on injectors just use the original intake and be done.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know for sure it is something in the the lower end?

Sometimes folks jump to the conclusion the engine is blown, when there may be a chance the issue could be a head/cam/valve issue.

Not saying you are jumping to that conclusion, but what exactly was the engine doing?

Sights, sounds, smells... What did you observe? Any other details?

If it is blown, it is blown.
Just hate the thought of throwing the baby out with the bath water...

Something like swapping a head or something like that might be cheaper and easier than an all-out engine swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukon DRL

Latest posts