04 Denali losing oil pressure - looking for rebuilts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
Well my 165k 6.0 seems to be losing oil pressure. Runs perfect but only about 25psi cold and 15-18 hot now. Use to be 40/20. Research along with metal collected on the drain plug suggests it's the typical cam bearing walk. I'm thinking of just picking up a good rebuilt. Any suggestions on who to go through?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I`ve seen a bunch of rebuilds on ebay reasonably priced with good warranties but shipping isn`t cheap. If it were me i would shop around for a good local machine shop and have your engine rebuilt if you can do without the truck for a while. I never liked the idea a having a new engine shipped to me because if anything should ever happen you`ll have to remove the engine and ship it back and that would be a huge hassle. Plus having yours rebuilt you can have them put a bigger cam, head work etc if that`s what you`re looking to do. But if you`re just looking for a stock engine you can always look for a low mile used one. That would be the cheapest route.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Before changing the engine, try changing the o-ring on the oil pick up tube. the o-ring is $6 at the dealer.

wesyder

Reaction score
I second going after the o-ring, it solved my low oil pressure issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pnwdan

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
854ce2aa5d0da12f02d624e8635735c6.jpg

I'm not certain I'd see this much metal at a standard oil change if it were just the o ring. What do you guys think? The second picture of the metal is out of the filter.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
854ce2aa5d0da12f02d624e8635735c6.jpg

I'm not certain I'd see this much metal at a standard oil change if it were just the o ring. What do you guys think? The second picture of the metal is out of the filter.
How many miles ? I am going to say it's not the thing I would like to see.

wesyder

Reaction score
If you are doing the work yourself The o-ring is definitely worth the time when considering a new engine, in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A normal amount of metal on a drain plug should be very fine almost like mud when you wipe it off. What you have there in my opinion is way too much and way too big for there to not be a problem in your engine. You can try the o ring but i`d say your problem runs a bit deeper than an o ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts