04 burb cuts out when hits below 1/4 tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shatcher0428

Reaction score
Put a new Delphi pump in about 2 years ago and if you let it get much below 1/4 of a tank it will cut out an die with acceleration. But as soon as you put more gas in it runs normal. Anyone have any ideas?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the cluster fuel gauge accurate? Can you verify the fuel tank level is actually 1/4 full?

Check fuel pressure at the rail also to see if it's fuel delivery problems.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a new Delphi pump in about 2 years ago and if you let it get much below 1/4 tank it will cut out and die with acceleration.
But as soon as you put more gas in it runs normal. Anyone have any ideas?
Since 2000, my Chevy Caprices and Cadillac Fleetwood (23 gallon fuel tanks) pretty much trained me to drive very conservatively once the fuel level indicated 1/4 tank or less, for fear of the engine shutting down stopped on steep hills or during hard acceleration / hard braking / hard cornering AGAIN.

I can also do this with my Tahoe.
If the tank SAYS 1/4 or less, and I park on a steep hill, or corner with real joie de vivre, the engine will shut off.

That said
It's (unlikely but) possible that your pcm uses an antiquated op sys that 'over-reports' how much fuel is in the tank.
Believe it or not, this is yet another of the plethora of details addressed by a pcm tune.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, suspect the gauge is incorrect. Either faulty readings or something inside the tank that is creating blockage. need tank dropped and inspected.

I always consider 1/4 tank as empty and 1/2 tank as 1/4 full. Not your answer but I just never ever let it get that low.

How much fuel does the tank take when below 1/4 reading?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts