03+ footwell lights or 00+ LED footwell upgrades...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattvand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I officially should not be around wiring, it seems.

Installed a set of 1210 SMD blue strips in front and back. Used a SPDT switch so I could turn leds on and off or slave with dome. Used rear cig lighter for constant power.

Everything worked perfectly until I turned the ignition off and closed the doors. Now the domes, rear cig lighter and leds don't work. Map lights and step lights work just fine.

Checked the underhood fuse box and the 20A Aux Power fuse was blown.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what to do?

Thanks in advance!

mattvand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is an update and a cry for help.

I ran all the wires and found a spot that was, I think, shorted and the culprit. Fixed wire, got new fuse and tried it again.

Now the LEDs will work on Pos 2 and the rear 'cig lighter' works, but there is no power going to the switch in Pos 1 (that is the courtesy/dome lights power feed) and domes still do not work. However, the step lights will come on like normal and the map lights will manually turn on (they normally come on with the domes during courtesy lighting) and the left and right manual reading lights (on either side of the domes) work just fine.

Is there a relay that might have been blown? I'm searching the literature and can't find a dome/courtesy relay.

AARRRRGGGHH

mattvand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled literally every fuse under hood and at the I/P block and literally the last one I pulled, the TBC2 15A in the I/P fuse block, was fried. Issue resolved.

Further proof that I have no business being around electrical parts and connectors.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see this asked earlier in the thread, so I'll ask. Was the 12v power wire for these lights in the main wire harness on the passenger side removed in '03 when GM updated? I'm about to add these to my '04 and if the wire is still in the main harness, that would be easier to tap into vs. running power wire across to drivers side. Thanks in advance.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great write up!! I just did my footwell lights yesterday following this and I'm very happy with them! Thank you! I thought it was weird how my 2004 Yukon didnt have any but my moms 99 Silverado does. And also mine doesn't have a glove box light but hers does even though they have the same basic interior. I'm sure they had their reasons haha

Flomaster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump. When soldering to the wire in the plug on the drivers side.
Are you guys removing that wire stripping a section of wire
Wrapping the new wire around the bare wire
Soldering
And shrink wrapping /sleeving that connection?

-=Jason=-

Tapped via TapaCrap on my SGN4

Kiernanjp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great work Cameron, looks great.. I'd like to have the lights on whenever the truck is on. Do you happen to know which wire in the box that you tapped into, will let me do what I wanted to do? I thought about hooking it up to the fog light push button switch over there, but that a) isn't easy to splice into and b) has way too many tight wires to screw with.

Any help would be great.. Patrick

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Gonna do this this weekend . Thanks for zee write up yo