01 Tahoe z71 4x4 Differential question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while but recently just had my transmission replaced has got me back on concentrating on maintenance I may or may not want to do. Just downloaded the owner's manual and all it says is to check the front and rear differential fluid levels and to add a little if necessary. It does not mention changing the fluid. It only says to change the transfer case fluid every 50,000 miles. It seems to be a widely common thing to change them though. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I searched and didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Transfer case fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles according to GM.

As far as the front differential goes, you are supposed to check the level every 7500 miles.

For the rear axle, if there are no visible leaks at the bottom of the "pumpkin" or at the ends of the axle I wouldn't worry about it much. Pop off the diff cover and change the fluid at 75K intervals if you want.

The front axle can be checked by popping off the upper fill plug and dipping your finger in the hole. If you can stick your finger in the hole and touch fluid, you are ok. If not fill it till you can.
Front axles like to leak at the cv-axle seals. If it's leaking at an axle seal, do the fluid change and both side axle seals at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack10432

Latest posts