Engine block heater install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbunn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 6.2L Yukon denali that did not come with an engine block heater. I am reasonably mechanically inclined and have ordered the block heater and cord (pricey cord). Has anyone out there already done this install? If so, curious as to the tools and tips you found to be required and/or useful. Thanks!

OP
OP
D

dbunn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Figured it out. I ordered the heater and the cord. They are different than the block heaters I have installed before. It does not require the removal of the freeze plug. Instead, there is a threaded port on the "front drivers side" of the engine. It requires a 17mm hex soxket to remove it with a 1/2 inch drive and maybe a cheater pipe. Mine came loose pretty easy and with minimal effort. Thanks to the location it is relatively simple to access. The heater that threads in place of this plug requires a 26mm socket 1/2 inch drive. The threads already have the required sealant on iit. Required part numbers are 15801284 for the cord and 12586687 for the heater. GMPartsDirect seemed to have the best price even after shipping. If you do not drain the radiatior, place a bucket or pan under the engine to catch the antifreeze. Hope that helps if anyone needs it.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
You must live in some cold climate to need to install that.

OP
OP
D

dbunn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was in Alaska up until 2005 and will be moving back in the next 8 months. Yes it does get cold. -52 is close to the coldest I have seen, but anything below 0 is a good idea.

cadillac cam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you guys have a diagram or good description on where on the block the plug is located?

OP
OP
D

dbunn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have the vehicle with me right now, but I can take a picture if the following description does not help:

Stand near the driver side front tire or front headlight with the hood open.
Looking down past the battery tray towards the steering shaft you may probably see a rubber boot surrounding the lowest visible part of the steering shaft. If you take your hand from that boot and move towards the engine block, in front of the exhaust manifold you should find a threaded plug with a 17 mm hex hole. The plug is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I was able to use the 1/2" drive 17mm hex socket with a 4 inch 1/2"extension and 1/2" drive wratchet powered by a 3 foot (overkill) cheater pipe.

The location and the abscence of a bunch of craploa makes getting it off simple. If that doesn't help I will take a picture and post.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daniel if you are still out there, I got a question for you. I just ordered the block heater but when looking it up I noticed there are two other parts for this (aside from the block heater itself and the cord): the retainer and bolt. Part #:11561878 and 11610073 are the two part numbers... in your post above you said all you needed was the block heater and the cord... just wondering if it's necesarry that I buy these two other parts...