all on dome light mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
i installed led bulbs in my dome lights but i wanted to be greedy and have them all come on when the doors opened so heres what we come up with. pretty much its the same procedure as doing a 4hi or 6hi headlight setup. on the backside of the dome light assembly i jumped from the 12v side of the center bulb over to the 12v side of the side bulbs with diodes in line so no back feeding. the bulb mounts have spots where you can force a screw into it to make contact. the side bulbs still function like normal when the individual buttons are pressed but when the doors are opened, all 3 bulbs come on. i did this to both dome lights and i love it! heres the only pic i have. cant really post a pic of the light on because its so dang bright it screws with the camera.

2012-11-13153510.jpg

Last edited:

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. Definitely want to do this one.

Thanks,
Mikey.

OP
OP
mazdawg(Mikey)

mazdawg(Mikey)

Reaction score
this is the actual dome light above the 2nd row seat and also the cargo area. i also found out that the round map lights and the very outside bulbs on the dome lights are actually 5v signals. thats why guys have had issues when they install led bulbs and they arent bright. my solution was to pull the overhead in front of the sunroof and tap the orange wire with another wire and run it down to beside the dash and catch 12v there. it made all the lights super bright and fixed it all.

heres a pic of the domelights im talking about. hard to see but all three are on in each light. when the door is closed you can still turn on each individual light on by their little button because of the mod

DSCN2115.jpg

and heres some pics of the interior lights at night. these pics dont do it justice. my tahoe is an 06 so i added the floor sockets under the dash. next up on the to-do list is add the door lights to the back doors

DSCN2117.jpg

DSCN2122.jpg

DSCN2123.jpg

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice.

What size ? diode did you use?

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also found out that the round map lights and the very outside bulbs on the dome lights are actually 5v signals.
5v, really? Unless there's something built into the 'Courtesy Lamp Relay', I don't see anything in the schematic to indicate a step down in voltage.
Very curious.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly i dont have a clue. they were just some laying around at work.

ok, pmed you also about another question

5v, really? Unless there's something built into the 'Courtesy Lamp Relay', I don't see anything in the schematic to indicate a step down in voltage.
Very curious.

Yea, there is a thread about it from while back ago. 05-06, have something weird and the lights come on really dim w/ leds, but soon as you open the vanity the lights get bright.. / end thread jack.

OP
OP
mazdawg(Mikey)

mazdawg(Mikey)

Reaction score
Very curious.

yeah with the meter they only read 5v at both the sides of the dome light and also the round map lights. that was tested on my 06 tahoe, and 06 yukon, and an 06 escalade at work. the wiring for all of them origionate at a plug inside of the front console above the mirror. when i shot 12v with my logicprobe they lit up like a christmas tree. running a fused 12v wire to that plug ups them and helps with the dimming

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645