Removing rear hatch piece??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe803

Reaction score
hey, new to the forum. Picked up a 2007 nnbs Tahoe LT. So far loving it but i need some help removing the piece on the rear lift gate that the bow tie is glued to. I need to get it repainted so it needs to come off. I took off the inside panel and saw 3 screws that looked like it held the piece on but the screws wouldn't come loose. they just kept spinning. so how does it come off? any help would be appreciated, i need to drop off the piece on monday to get painted. heres a pic of what im talking about....thanks! :Frustrated:
not my tahoe, just found the pic on google, but i need to remove the piece behind the bow tie...mine also has a rear view camera and 2 tag lights.

35n7jer.jpg
[/IMG]

Yuk0n07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Serge recently had a write up on this but cant seem to locate it, if I do ill post you the link. From memory I recall him saying it was very difficult to remove the piece and suggested taking it to someone to have it removed. Ill keep searching

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Got it, here ya go! Welcome to the forum :Handshake:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44482

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if it was just turning and turning, that means you busted the applique and will need to do a little "work" to fix it. You'll see what I mean when you get it off. Because now you're not going to be able to tighten it back up.

OP
OP
Tahoe803

Tahoe803

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.. how do i get it off now? how many screws hold that piece on?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a little more about it...
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8260

And you can see where his are busted

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

thanks for the reply.. how do i get it off now? how many screws hold that piece on?

basically need to pull away on the applique while turning the nuts. if that fails, since it's already busted, just pull it. I had to make new bolts and epoxy them in. I would say about 70% of the time, people end up buying a new one. It's 4 bolts

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Here is a little more about it...
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8260

And you can see where his are busted

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

basically need to pull away on the applique while turning the nuts. if that fails, since it's already busted, just pull it. I had to make new bolts and epoxy them in. I would say about 70% of the time, people end up buying a new one. It's 4 bolts

Check out this thread too...

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3253&highlight=applique+broke

OP
OP
Tahoe803

Tahoe803

Reaction score
damn, so if all else fails, just yank it off? so if all 4 bolts are busted then what is holding it in place? what about the camera? i want to make sure i dont break it

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn, so if all else fails, just yank it off? so if all 4 bolts are busted then what is holding it in place? what about the camera? i want to make sure i dont break it

they are not normal bolts, instead of a normal head on them, they look like a "T" and aren't suppose to turn. So you've basically broken a little of the fiberglass that hold the "T" straight (not turning). But since it's a "T" there is still fiberglass holding the bolt IN, just nothing holding it from being able to TURN.

pull from each side and you'll be able to get it off and then you'll see. It sucks, and was a HORRIBLE design.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

I hate to say it, but once you bust it and get it off, you'll see what I mean. If you want to wait, I can post up pics in 7 hours when I get home. I have a spare applique that's busted aling with a few of the T bolts.

OP
OP
Tahoe803

Tahoe803

Reaction score
damn i thought this was going to be an easy fix...so what exactly am i pulling? the actual applique away from the door? or should i just yank out the plastic bolts with screw with some pliers? i dont know much about body work, but maybe the shop can fix the chips without taking it off? idk, i just want it fixed. the truck is so perfect until you see the rear..no bow tie and paint chipped of that piece.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn i thought this was going to be an easy fix...so what exactly am i pulling? the actual applique away from the door? or should i just yank out the plastic bolts with screw with some pliers? i dont know much about body work, but maybe the shop can fix the chips without taking it off? idk, i just want it fixed. the truck is so perfect until you see the rear..no bow tie and paint chipped of that piece.

Yes, pull the applique away from the door WHILE turning the nut. Not the easiest to do. Like I said, i got 1 off that way, then pulled it the rest of the way off.

Problem you'll have now is you can't tighten it back up so it will be loose. Some people will take the Tahoe one off and get a yukon applique same year/color that don't have the holes in it.

OP
OP
Tahoe803

Tahoe803

Reaction score
thanks for all the help...what if pulling it while unscrewing doesnt work? just rip the damn thing off?