Adventures with NNBS Liftgate Appliqué ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So stupid over here removed his GMC emblem from his applique (the one above the license plate) and proceeded to press too hard with the 3M eraser wheel and peeled off his paint. :( Never mind, lesson learned, ordered and had pained new appliqué and went to swap it today.

The reason I write this is to indicate to those with Tahoes/Burbs who may be considering swapping to the holeless Yukon appliqué, what is involved. I have no pics but hopefully I'll describe it properly from memory.

First take a screw out that is in the handle cavity at the bottom of the liftgate, then pop the rear window and take out a couple of clips on the plastic bit where the bottom of the rear window attaches to. This will free the lower inside panel. With one of those fork like clip removers make your way around the two covers and eventually they just pop right off. I think you may need to unplug a harness on the bottom one. Removing the two panels take some time and go slow so as not to break any clips.

So that's the easy part ...

The hard part is removing the applique itself because GM has designed it unbelievably poorly. You have to get inside the two liftgate metal body panels and start removing bolts with a flat wrench ... small hands preferred. Some of them you can only get with a flat wrench, others there are holes in the metal where you can put a bit through to use a power tool. But here's the problem: the likelyhood of salvaging your old applique is very small. This is because GM has put threadlock on the screws. Two of mine came off, but the other two had to be broken off the applique to remove it. So my plan to sell it to someone who wanted a shaved ass on their Hoe is no more.

Anyway, once it's off, you have to fish out 3 harnesses from a hole in the gate and unplug, then transfer the somewhat complicated old applique harness and license plate bulb covers onto the new appliqué, and do everything back in reverse to get the appliqué back on, then covers, and done.

It took two body shop techs about 45min/1hr to get this done cause some of the stuff is awkward and goes faster with two people.

Honestly, unless one really knows what they're doing I wouldn't recommend it ... but I thought I'd share the experience in case it's useful to anyone.

If it were me and I wanted a shaved applique on my hoe, I'd just unglue the emblem, buy one of those cheap chrome covers from ebay, have it painted, and stick it over the existing one.

I may have missed a small thing or two, but this isn't really a 'how to' thread, more to give a general impression of the level of work involved. If someone has done this themselves and wants to add more detail, please do so.

Cheers!

Last edited:

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This, of course, begs the question, "Why were you removing the GMC logo that you put so much thought and planning into in the first place?!" But, I'm sure that's another thread altogether. :)

Thanks for posting this. Someone just asked about this in another thread, and whereas I'd never done it, I swore that I had read that other folks thought it was a PITA. Then, shortly after I wrote that, someone posted that it wasn't a big deal.

You have reminded me (and others) that at very least it CAN be a very big deal, even if it isn't a complete PITA for everyone.

Sounds like if it's not a pain, you're one of the lucky ones.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that really sums up the long conversation we had on the phone about this...

I can make this a sticky for the applique if you would like?

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh it's up to you Nathan ... I'm not sure it has enough info for a tech thread, but if you think it's useful by all means sticky away. :)

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

oh serge, I want to know what you are doing...

:secret:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh it's up to you Nathan ... I'm not sure it has enough info for a tech thread, but if you think it's useful by all means sticky away. :)

like the retrofit sticky? :lol2:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
The best way to remove it is not with a wrench. Remove the wiper and motor and youll have access to all 4 10mm nuts. Heat them up for a few seconds using a lighter or small torch. That will heat up the threadlock on the bolts enough that the nuts will come right off. Use a 10mm Deep socket with extension and remove all 4 nuts. Easy as can be that way, and none of the bolts break from the applique.

If it took two body guys an hour to do it, they have never done it before. I do body work at a very large Chevrolet dealer here in the Houston area and work on about 4-5 Tahoes or suburbans a week. Trust me when I say this is the fastest way to do it, and should take 30 minutes start to finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts