Blower motor resistor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Front air conditioner is acting up. The blower motor resistor went out on my Impala last year. Now I have a 05 Tahoe. Occasionally the front A/C will not function when I turn the blower to "5". 1-4 work just fine, but when I turn to 5 it turns off. Some days it works correctly, and some days it just will not blow at 5. I've noticed that at freeway speeds, 0/off will not be a true off. The A/C will still blow about the same as setting it at 2.

The switch appears in good condition, it's not loose.

Any ideas?

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have 2 issues..

For one - Are you sure its the blower motor resistor? Typically when one of them goes bad you lose all speeds BUT the top one..

Are you sure your REcirc is closing? (Vent selector has to be on the panel selection..) once that is there, and you push the recirc button all the air at highway speeds should stop entering the truck. If not, that recirc or damper motor is shot

OP
OP
S

sticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll check the recirculating/damper motor in the morning.

I'm not sure it's the resistor. The more I read, it sounds like the switch may be bad. It feels solid, but I'm going to pop the panel and see what I find.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Sounds like a resistor to me. I've had that happen on a canyon I used to have. Started out with 5 not working, ended up with only 1 working.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a resistor to me. I've had that happen on a canyon I used to have. Started out with 5 not working, ended up with only 1 working.

Interesting - I always understood the function of this to be where it puts resistance on the line for slower speeds - but being high would not require any resistance - that part does not come into play. (maybe I am wrong )
Hope that is your problem b/c its a cheap easy fix

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my resistor died everything but the HI speed worked. Except sometimes, the HI would work, then other times, not. Pretty easy to change on my 03 Tahoe in the passenger foot compartment.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW my dad's 06 silverado did it too and not sure what they fixed. it was under ext warranty but they said it was common...i bet i could ask him but it seems ya'll already know it pretty much anyway...

OP
OP
S

sticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, part of the problem was user error. I noticed that when you turn the a/c off it automatically opens the vent. Simply pressing a button solved that issue.

The a/c works on 5 for about 2 minutes then it stops. Go back to 4 and it'll work forever. Not sure what's up. I'm going to replace the resistor since it's cheap. After that I'll bring it to someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645