Probably a stupid suspension ?, but what's a "key" ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I really know very little about suspension, but keep seeing keys mentioned, and they are obviously somehow adjustable. What are they, do I have them on a Denali, and how do I adjust them?

Come summer, I'm wanting to run 305/50/20's but really don't know if I'll need to mess with any of this, but thought it'd be good to know if I do.

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all. A torsion bar suspension is what all of our OBS and NBS Tahoes run. Torsion bar suspension is any vehicle suspension that uses a torsion bar as its main weight bearing spring. One end of a long metal bar is attached firmly to the vehicle chassis; the opposite end terminates in a lever or a key, mounted perpendicular to the bar, that is attached to a suspension arm, spindle or the axle. Vertical motion of the wheel causes the bar to twist around its axis and is resisted by the bar's torsion resistance. The effective spring rate of the bar is determined by its length, diameter and material.

There is a bolt that runs into the key that is used to adjust the height of the suspension. Your Denali has a torsion bar front end as does the Tahoe's, Silverado's and Avalanches of our body style.

All of us talking about keys is in short talking about replacing the stock key to one that has a different pitch to raise the front end higher for bigger tires. There is also keys designed to lower your front end if you'd like also.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of where the key is located and what it looks like. The bar with the sticker is the torsion bar and the rusted looking thing with a bolt is a torsion key. The long piece that key is mounted to is just a cross member holding the transfer case. You'll have one on both the drivers and passenger side for the front and just basic coil springs for the back.

Hope this helps.

4342281622_5dae2b5268.jpg

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
DaRosa:

Thank you, sir, for all of that information! That was probably the most complete, 1-post answer I've ever seen on here. Much appreciated.

:)

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great answer Mike! Appreciate it! One more question, I keep hearing you can adjust them. If so how much? Do you just turn that bolt? And does it wear anything out faster? Thanks buddy!

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more answers should be exactly like that, respectful and informative, good work mike

Great answer Mike! Appreciate it! One more question, I keep hearing you can adjust them. If so how much? Do you just turn that bolt? And does it wear anything out faster? Thanks buddy!

sure can adjust them, jack the front of the truck up, and the 2 bolts that are threaded through 2 block in a crossmember are the adjusting bolts. loosen them very little, 1/3-1/2 turn at a time, drop the truck back down, push down on the front bumper a few times to resettle everything and adjust accordingly if you want it lower or higher.you might have to take a quick drive around the block to get everything settled. loosening the bolt will make the ride a little bouncier as there is less resistance and tightening the keys will raise ride height and make it firmer. might wear out tires faster if you dont get an alignment afterwards if you change the torsion too much.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more answers should be exactly like that, respectful and informative, good work mike

sure can adjust them, jack the front of the truck up, and the 2 bolts that are threaded through 2 block in a crossmember are the adjusting bolts. loosen them very little, 1/3-1/2 turn at a time, drop the truck back down, push down on the front bumper a few times to resettle everything and adjust accordingly if you want it lower or higher.you might have to take a quick drive around the block to get everything settled. loosening the bolt will make the ride a little bouncier as there is less resistance and tightening the keys will raise ride height and make it firmer. might wear out tires faster if you dont get an alignment afterwards if you change the torsion too much.

Thank you sir! Appreciate the help!

mikeyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also only on 4x4 trucks 2 wheeel drive trucks dont have the same set up they have springs in the front end.. and just throwing it out there i got 1 set of lowering keys for sale used for about 4 months but now got a bag set up

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
also only on 4x4 trucks 2 wheeel drive trucks dont have the same set up they have springs in the front end.. and just throwing it out there i got 1 set of lowering keys for sale used for about 4 months but now got a bag set up

Your absolutely right, the OBS have Coil Springs in the front. Sorry, forgot all about that :)

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Your always welcome. To lower your front end, just back the bolt a quarter turn at a time and drive around the block real quick to settle in the suspension. Then see how you like the height and measure the height of each fender well to ensure you are level to prevent pulling in the steering.

To lift the suspension you do the same as above but twist the screw in a quarter turn at a time. You will need to jack the front tires off the ground for each procedure (lowering or lifting the vehicle) to unload the weight off the torsion bars.

My keys are currently turned up or in all the way to make my truck sit level (Raised the front end up 1"). I had to get a alignment and haven't noticed any increased wear on any suspension parts or tires. For my 2003 Tahoe, I had the screws almost backed out all the way and it wore the insides of my tires out fast due to the increased toe in camber by lowering it.

Sorry to take so long to reply to anyone, getting ready for work tomorrow.
If you have anymore questions feel free to hit me up. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo