Help battery acid spilled on cargo area carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris_u

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm so f$&ked my 13 tahoe is in the shop so my brother in Law lones me a 2014 Tahoe LTZ to drive for a few days I put a car battery in behind the third row seats to drop off Plans changed and I forgot about the battery so tonight I'm putting groceries in the hatch and The battery is tipped over and there battery acid everywhere big spot on the carpet were its just rubber now The third row was In the The down position The battery acid filled all the channels were a third row seats lock in I poured baking soda everywhere pulled up the carpet soak up all the battery acid then made a baking soda paste with water spread it All over The painted metal floor I'm going to let it sit overnight clean it out tomorrow I need some help to do next I need to remove all The rear interior panels and the center row seats to get carpet out But I can't figure out how to remove the panels And after I clean off the painted metal floor should I spray it with something like a rust inhibitor were can I get a replacement carpet Are there any Nokes and crannies where the battery acid might sit that I don't see. Sorry about the spelling and punctuation with my fingers hurt from the battery acid Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated thank you

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just unpop the panels from the bottom and pull the carpet, honestly if its up to my i would just hose the area with water before installing the new carpet just to make sure that there is nothing left, take the drain plugs out before hosing it down

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Baking soda and water was a good start. Neutralize. Once you get the carpet up you should douche down the whole area down again. It's likely the floorboard coat may be affected so you may encounter wrinkled paint, which should be removed. Or you could get lucky and hopefully the carpet acted as a barrier. Hopefully no wires or connectors were in the way. Dry it all out, vacuum out the baking soda and determine if you need to hit it with some rustoleum. In that location some spray on undercoat may do the trick. Just make sure everything is dry and there is no trace of battery acid.
Probably dealer on the carpet or Rock Auto. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

chris_u

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Baking soda and water was a good start. Neutralize. Once you get the carpet up you should douche down the whole area down again. It's likely the floorboard coat may be affected so you may encounter wrinkled paint, which should be removed. Or you could get lucky and hopefully the carpet acted as a barrier. Hopefully no wires or connectors were in the way. Dry it all out, vacuum out the baking soda and determine if you need to hit it with some rustoleum. In that location some spray on undercoat may do the trick. Just make sure everything is dry and there is no trace of battery acid.
Probably dealer on the carpet or Rock Auto. Good luck.
Thanks floor board is covered with baking soda and right now I hope it be OK tomorrow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cornut