2017 Tahoe rusted undercarriage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjanssen2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently purchased used 2017 Tahoe. Noticed considerable amount of rust on undercarriage after purchase. We live in the Midwest. Should I be concerned. Thinking of reaching back out to dealership but want to get input here first. 20231008_144823.jpg20231008_144811.jpg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How recently did you purchase?
Since purchase how many miles have you put on it?
If you reached back out to the dealership what would you expect them to do about it?

OP
OP
J

jjanssen2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought 4 days ago, not many miles at all. Not sure what I'd expect. Curious if there's a treatment that can be done.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, looks like a traditional midwest vehicle that the owner took GMs word for that "no additional rust proofing is necessary. "

You have a couple options: pressure wash the heck out of it with a turbo tip and blow off any and all loose coating and rust. Let dry and then apply rust converter followed by some sort of sealant (paint, truck bed coating, etc). Wait for that to cure and then apply fluid film liberally all over everything, inside rocker panels, fenders, doors, etc.

Or: just take it to zeebart and have them do their rust killing process followed by a good rust proofing.

These are the only ways to make it last longer in the midwest. Believe me, I live here too, and have worked on grungy cars for too many years. I now buy western or Southern vehicles, rust proof them myself, drive them, and then enjoy a clean vehicle for years to come while others of the same era fall apart.

I'd say your vehicle is salvageable at this point, just don't skimp on doing it right. And, be sure to do annual touch-ups as needed. I have to every year before salt hits the road just to stay ahead of it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.