2009 hybrid tahoe w/ 140k miles....... or 2014 tahoe lt w/ 170k miles... which would you take?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All opinions much appreciated and thank you for reading this! I am in need of a truck until I can fix my other tahoe, which is proving to be difficult.

My dilemma is this: Both the 2014 tahoe LT and the 2009 hybrid tahoe LT run/look good. No rust, frame looks good on both, no engine knocks, suspension all checks out.

Dealership wants $9000 for the 2009 hybrid tahoe with only 140k miles. They want $11,000 for the 2014 with only 170k miles.

Cosmetically and undercarriage-ly, the 2009 wins by far (neither have rust), Mechanically, they're both sound. Neither have CEL, though I did not have my scanner so I didn't scan stored codes.

The only thing that scares me is the "hybrid" part, else I'd be sold on the 2009. Is this something I should be worried about? I am mechanically inclined, but know absolutely nothing when it comes to hybrids, except that the battery prices will put you into a deep depression or coma. If the hybrid battery goes bad, will the truck still run? I will be getting one or the other tomorrow, so yalls opinion is what will sway me! Thanks guys.
The hybrid battery is likely overdue to be replaced. 5 to 7 years is typical. Find out what a new battery costs. I don't like hybrids in general, but use ones are even worse.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a fellow member on here recently had to rebuild his transmission on his hybrid Tahoe. If my memory serves, it's hard to get parts for that transmission and the 2 motors inside it are expensive plus are hard to find. I like the hybrids, but I wouldn't buy one just because of the transmission / availability of parts issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukon DRL