tranny removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys whats up, I know its been a while but I'm finally getting around to taking the burned out tranny out of my Hoe and I've been following these instructions but I only have only gotten as far as jacking the truck up, taking off the drive shafts, and loosening a few supports. I'm not sure what the OP is talking about when he refers to the soda can shaped thing to take off. I see the little hole that he is talking about where you can stick a screw driver in to turn the flywheel but Im not sure where the bolts are that get exposed as you do it that he's talking about. Also, do you need to take off the starter? He seems to be the only one who talks about removing the starter. Thank you for the advice! Here are some pics that I snapped of how it stands right now.

Hoe1_zps60c69f92.jpg
Hoe2_zps518270d0.jpg
Hoe3_zps74e57969.jpg
Hoe4_zpsf279daed.jpg
Hoe5_zps4034c975.jpg

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys whats up, I know its been a while but I'm finally getting around to taking the burned out tranny out of my Hoe and I've been following these instructions but I only have only gotten as far as jacking the truck up, taking off the drive shafts, and loosening a few supports. I'm not sure what the OP is talking about when he refers to the soda can shaped thing to take off. I see the little hole that he is talking about where you can stick a screw driver in to turn the flywheel but Im not sure where the bolts are that get exposed as you do it that he's talking about. Also, do you need to take off the starter? He seems to be the only one who talks about removing the starter. Thank you for the advice! Here are some pics that I snapped of how it stands right now.

Hoe1_zps60c69f92.jpg
Hoe2_zps518270d0.jpg
Hoe3_zps74e57969.jpg
Hoe4_zpsf279daed.jpg
Hoe5_zps4034c975.jpg

Take the bolts out of the cover in the pics,there will be 3 bolts through the flywheel(flexplate)into the torque convertor.you will have to rotate the flexplate to gain access to the bolts..

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I was just going to say I feel stupid. Haha. I figured it out quickly upon closer inspection

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have one more question. Ive got it all the way apart to where I only have two nuts on the upper part of the bell housing connecting the tranny to the engine. The transfer case and everything has been taken off and slid back and all connections have been taken off. I cant seem to get a good angle at the two upper nuts on the passenger side because of the awkward angle and the exhaust and cats are in the way. Is there a trick to getting at those? Do I need to move or remove the exhaust? After I get those it should drop down. Thank you!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always pull the exhaust well before you are at the point you are now ... if you can't get them with "wobble" adapters and extensions then use a wrench from the top side. I've done mine both ways.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea pulling the exhaust would've been helpful but I was able to get the last two bolts with some long ass extensions, really wasn't too bad once I got the right angle on them. Didnt even need any wobble adapters! Haha. Thanks for the help man, the tranny dropped right down no sweat once I got them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo